VMware Horizon Community
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Upgrade Agent 4.5 to 4.6

I'm upgrading from 4.5 to view vmware 4.6.
Connection Server - OK
Composer - OK
Clients - OK
I  have questions regarding agents, for example in a pool Linked  "Dedicated" I'll lose the user's information if he has written to C: the  machine, okay?
Is there any way to not lose the data that the user saved on C:?

I also have a pool Full Virtual Machine, I would like to upgrade the pool and make a recomponse? Apparently not have that option, ok?

Thanks.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The recompose feature is only going to be available in the linked clone pools.   When upgrading the Full VM pools you will need some type of way to distribute the upgrade such as SCCM.  You  could also just manually upgrade the agents for those Full VDI desktop pools.

On the linked clone pools the C:\ drive is going to default back to the parent image associated with the recompose.   The only way to keep from losing data is to make use of some type of profile solution or the persistent disk that are available in View.

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the disc is coupled to persistent virtual machine or the user?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The disk is attached to a dedicated linked clone machine.   There are archive features for persistent disk if you need to delete that clone.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

how i redirect persistent disk to machine ??

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can only set the persistent disk option on a dedicated linked clone pool and only when creating the pool.  When the user logs in their are assigned the desktop and persistent disk. 

0 Kudos
DKatman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We do employ persistent drives in our environment. In addition, we redirect our my documents folder to a shared network location. The agent is why you want to Recompose today. Who knows why or when you will want to next time? Maybe windows updates? Maybe updating an app? I don't like the idea of any of my users saving anything to their c:\. At least not anything they wouldn't want to disappear.  Good Luck, Dave

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ok. thanks for all.

0 Kudos