VMware Horizon Community
HubertusG
Contributor
Contributor

VDI for Developers - Hardware Recommendations

Hi Community!

We are looking at and testing VDI solutions for software developers and ended up testing with a Dell R730 with an Nvidia K1 gpu. We are currently evaluating wich hardware we should consider to give our users a flaless desktop feeling. On our current setup we were able to get equal or better results with clinical benchmarks like the current physical development machines. When we start doing some tests with realistic productive scenarios we experience that the physical machine still outperforms the vm by far.

We are using Horizon 7 on dell hardware, could you give me any hardware recommendations what kind of server would be needed to get similar "real" performance on a VM?

How many cpus of which type should we get for a 10 user server?

Which graphics card is needed for seemles performance if also mobile and web development is done? (a S7150x2 maybe?)

Can the connection server and the vCenter server run as virtual machines on the same server as the whole VDI solution or should these run on different hardware?

Any recommendations will be welcome.

Thanks,

Hubertus

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RyanGoldstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the r730 is a good choice for a 10 user setup.  Single 8 core INTEL proc, would be more then enough.

When you want to go scalable, http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-c4130/pd

you can put 4 k1/k2's in that thing, Should be able to handle about 50 users if you put 256 gig of ram and dual 8 core INTEL cpu.

I would stay in the nvidia vGPU cards, those will work the best with VDI.

0 Kudos
RyanGoldstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

best practices would be to have a separate Management Cluster with 3 hosts separate from desktops.

I have never done that.

0 Kudos
MobileGeek42
Contributor
Contributor

I do not know what our server infrastructure is like, but I have found, as a full stack developer the VDI solution to be horrible compared to a dedicated engineering workstation. Since I myself need to work with virtualization and containers, have my own MSSQL instance, my development and build tools in a sandbox (a setup that even makes my dedicated machine struggled with 32GB of RAM and 7th generation 4 core i7), VDI has struggled even more, especially as more developers come on to the infrastructure. Every few minutes my session will just hard freeze for about 10 to 15 seconds, and then when it is working, I can type faster than the system can keep up, and this creates a new set of problems with intellisense, introducing errors simply because of the lag time.

From a scaling point of view, 4 people on 4 quad core dedicated CPUs on 4 dedicated buses is gonna be a better experience than 4 people on 1 16 core CPU system sharing 1 data bus, all things being equal. That is why to give a desktop like experience it can lead to unbelievably expensive server hardware. And we haven't even talked about the additional network overhead, which really can become a bottleneck with too many users.

When developers can work in an isolated sandbox machine of their own, they traditionally require fewer network resources, and the costs scale much better depending on the specific needs (not all developers and development tasks are the same). I think that is something IT folks never seem to understand while trying to find the all-in-one solution. What would you do if you developers need access to GPU features? For that matter, what would you do for heavy CAD or media processing use that requires specialized hardware?

VMWARE does a great sales pitch, but it doesn't match reality. I'd say figure out what you "think" you need, then quadruple it.

0 Kudos