VMware Horizon Community
magan78
Contributor
Contributor

VMware VDI persistent desktop dump files

Hi,

We are on VMware Horizon 7.13 and in our persistent desktops, there are.dmp files in users profile at this location (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Dumps) and filling up the disks.All the .dmp file are vmware-remotemks-xxx.dmp , we do have view client installed on these persistent desktops that connect to instant clone VDI's as well.

Any idea why are these getting generated and is there anyway to limit these .dmp files filling-up the disks? Are these view client logs or view agent logs?

I have seen a GPO but these are only to limt log files but not .dmp files.Please let me know as this is causing us issues.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Carlucci25
Contributor
Contributor

This post applies to all VMware Horizon 7 versions including 7.13 To reduce the size of the .vswp files, edit each virtual desktop and reserve its memory Floating (Non-Persistent) Automatic Linked Clone Desktop Pool Each Connection Server automatically dumps the LDAP database to disk every day.

0 Kudos
magan78
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I am just not clear? We don't see the .dmp files everyday?

0 Kudos
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried to use this GPO to limit the dump count:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2103/horizon-console-administration/GUID-AA860564-A297-4C4...

Configure dump count on program errorLimits the number of dump files that can be created. Set Maximum dump files to be created to any numerical value. The value takes effect per process and per process for each user. If you set the value to 0, no dump files are created. If you do not configure this setting, the number of dump files that can be created is 128 or unlimited, depending on the process that generates the dump files.
Apples23
Contributor
Contributor

We too have the issue of .dmp files fillling our hard drives on a handful of machines, but not all. We aren't sure what turned on the creation of these .dmp files but would like to remove it. Did you find a solution @magan78 ?

0 Kudos
Apples23
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a solution @magan78 ? We started having this problem since the last batch of Windows updates.

0 Kudos
CSeanJohnson
Contributor
Contributor

I too would like to know what is going on with this. We have one user who is getting +60G of dump files. Within a couple of weeks her HD is filling up and we are deleting the files.

If anyone is interested I created a .bat file and placed it in her startup folder that deletes these files upon boot.

@Echo off

cls

del C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Dumps /S /Q

However, we would like to know the cause of these. The GPO is not an option right now as she is the only person having the issue.

Is it doing it because she powers off and doesn't disconnect?  Is it a certain Windows Update she has since its a new laptop?

Thanks

-Sean J

0 Kudos
Apples23
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @CSeanJohnson a band aid solution until we get a permanent fix for this from VMware.

0 Kudos
cscowx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you solve the problem later?

How did you solve it?

0 Kudos
Apples23
Contributor
Contributor

Still using the band aid solution of deleting files from those folders on startup using a batch file. It helps for the most part, but depending on the amount and type of work the user does, the drive does fill up during the working session and causes issues.

We worked with VMware back and forth for weeks. Nothing suggested worked for us. I would be very interested in a solution if you have one.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Upgrade your Horizon infra to 8.x and get rid of all those old agents on VM's. Easier said than done but if you're running newer versions of Win10 VM's (21h2 and 22h2) then you really need to get Horizon upgraded. For us the old 7.8 agents are the only ones causing the huge influx of dump files.

0 Kudos
vasquezu
Contributor
Contributor

We occasionally experience this as well and we are on 8.x

0 Kudos