VMware Horizon Community
MKrantz
Contributor
Contributor

Ways to get desktops to become available quicker?

I am finding that in our View 4.6 environment. It seems to take a while for virtual desktops to get into an "available" status after a reboot. By a "while" I mean about five to eight minutes.

I am looking for any suggestions on what to look at in an effort to decrease the amount of time it takes for our virtual desktops to become available after a reboot.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Most likely issue is you are suffering from poor storage performance. Check the datastore latency. Average should not really be more than 10ms with about 40ms peaks

0 Kudos
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What type of desktop pool do you have in View environment?

Any sysprep activity or "Refresh after reboot"?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

How many reboots are happening concurrently?    Someone has already pointed out it could be storage related and definitley something I have seen before when storage was saturated.  

0 Kudos
MKrantz
Contributor
Contributor

He can happen when only one reboot is occurring.

Anyone think AV might have something to do with it?

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

CHeck your disk performance as I stated above. Most likely cause. Active VDIs still create disk load.

If you want to see if its something in the image, move one VDI to an isolated local datastore with no other VMs running on that server and see how long it takes to boot. If its still slow it could be something in the image, I severely doubt it though.

Just checking - does this VM have a large amount of RAM that could exceed one NUMA node?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

AV can be problematic in VDI but it almost always leads to storage.   As the other poster said you can isolate and try to determine if it's something in the image vs storage, etc.    Did you have an opportunity to review your storage latency from esxtop?  If your seeing high amounts of latency as an average that is going to point to storage too. 

0 Kudos