VMware Horizon Community
muratpe
Contributor
Contributor

experience: Using existing Vsphere Enviroment for View?

i saw a few posts about this issue. my question is: we are using vspehere cluster with 3 host and one physical vcenter. As i learned in this community it is not neccesary to install a new vcenter instance.

-question: so it is no problem installing the composer service on this existing vcenter server AND use linked clones?

And: i don't want new hosts and new cluster for the View Client and the connection server. Is there any experience on using the same cluster for the View clients with linked clones?

thanks a lot

murat

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

so it is no problem installing the composer service on this existing vcenter server AND use linked clones?

It is no problem with such installing, if your existing vCenter works in 32-bit OS. One thing you should remember - to create new database for composer before deploying View (create new SQL instance, or using existing - as you wish).

i don't want new hosts and new cluster for the View Client and the connection server. Is there any experience on using the same cluster for the View clients with linked clones?

I can't say any thing about PRODUCTION, but in my TESTING lab - there is one cluster with mix of server VMs and desktop VMs (full and linked clone). About half of year - all works fine.

0 Kudos
muratpe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx a lot!

You wrote: "...if your existing vCenter works in 32-bit OS"

...and what about 64-bit Systems? We're using 64-bit.

Thanx - Murat

0 Kudos
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

...and what about 64-bit Systems? We're using 64-bit.

Unfortunately, this version of VMware View Composer does not support 64 bit operating systems. [Admin guide|http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view401_admin_guide.pdf] (p.24)

The View Composer feature is supported on the following 32‐bit platforms:

• Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 or higher

• Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 or higher

In next reliase of VMware View - 4.5, VMware promise to resolve this disadvantage.They say, View 4.5 is in a beta testing phase now.

If you find this information useful, please mark answer as "correct" or "helpful" Smiley Happy