VMware Cloud Community
Yvon_Crete
Contributor
Contributor

Exchange and SQL databases vs SRM

Hi everyone,

I ran a few search on this forum to find a topic about VM guests running Exchange 2007 or MS SQL databases and couldn't find anything.

My question to you all is : Is it true that SRM snapshots are heavy to replicate due to the fact that a single transaction in any of these DB will flag the entire DB file to be included in snaphot deltas ?

I am about to purchase a few SRM licenses but most of my VM Guests have DBs in them, don't want to end up replicating tons of Gbytes accross everytime SRM replicates my VM on the other side.

any advise, comment is welcom

thanks all and Happy New Year

Jean

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There are two methods of replicating the changes to the recovery site - The first and most common relies on the SAN to SAN level replication which is block level replication so it will replicate the whole file just the blocks that have changed. This has been the method for replicating the VMs since the original release of SRM.  With the release of SRM 5 you know can have host to host level replication - this too is a block level replication so the only that are sent are blocks not the whole file as I understand it. So in either only changes get sent not the entire file

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos