VMware Cloud Community
hux2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Getting warnings when I do "Test" in SRM

I have eight VMs on a NetApp NFS volume. My protection group and recovery plan are set and when I do "Test" there are no errors and everything appears to work. However, for each of the VMs I see a similarly-formatted warning in the report (accessed from the "History" tab of "Recovery Plans"). For example:

Failed to update embedded paths in virtual machine file '/vmfs/volumes/28fbab18-36192c2b/.snapshot/mdcnetapp1(0118052727)_F2A15V05_ESX_srm_mirror.23/IDCSPWEB1/IDCSPWEB1.vmx'. Unable to access file

Does anyone know what causes this warning, what it means and how to fix it? It looks like a permissions issue but I can't tell from the warning what it is that's trying to access the specified file.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeff9565
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hux,

If you take a look at the error message, it refers to the .snapshot directory (which is read only).  I believe the only way to fix this would be for you to go in your NetApp volume configuration and uncheck (or check, I forget which) the "Hide snapshot directory".  This will remove the ".snapshot" folder from the view.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jeff9565
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hux,

If you take a look at the error message, it refers to the .snapshot directory (which is read only).  I believe the only way to fix this would be for you to go in your NetApp volume configuration and uncheck (or check, I forget which) the "Hide snapshot directory".  This will remove the ".snapshot" folder from the view.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

0 Kudos
hux2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, yes, that makes sense. I don't want to disable viewing of that directory so I guess I'll just ignore the warnings, since they don't really indicate a problem.

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos