VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

SAN based replication vs. VMware SRM ?

Hi,

I'm wondering when should we choose VMware SRM over the proprietary SAN based replication method ?

at the moment I'm designing a DR site plan which would be nice if the data from my production environment can be replicated by the SAN into DR site.

Thanks

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

SRM is nice, as it gives you a one button DR failover (wonderful)

The downside of course is the cost and the fact that once you have failed over, you need to reconfigure for fail back.

SAN Based is generally cheaper (as the assumption is that you would need the stoarge replication for SRM anyway), but requires bespoke scripting or manual export and import of VMs to make it work. It is also a little trickier to get around the IP addressing issue if your VLANs are not stretched between sites and so.

If you are used to scripting thouhg, this should not be a problem, so your decision simply come sdown to ease of use, skillset and cost,

Personally, I have scripted it before and would take the same approach again (even though SRM is a very good tool) - but I expect this to be different for many (most) as not everyone a)  likes to script, b) trusts their scripts.

Lastly, if you are paying someone to fit it, it will be easier to figure out what is happening with SRM than with a bunch of bespoke scripts and SRM allows for 'dummy runs' which scripting may not do.

Good luck and post back with your final thoughts please.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

SRM is nice, as it gives you a one button DR failover (wonderful)

The downside of course is the cost and the fact that once you have failed over, you need to reconfigure for fail back.

SAN Based is generally cheaper (as the assumption is that you would need the stoarge replication for SRM anyway), but requires bespoke scripting or manual export and import of VMs to make it work. It is also a little trickier to get around the IP addressing issue if your VLANs are not stretched between sites and so.

If you are used to scripting thouhg, this should not be a problem, so your decision simply come sdown to ease of use, skillset and cost,

Personally, I have scripted it before and would take the same approach again (even though SRM is a very good tool) - but I expect this to be different for many (most) as not everyone a)  likes to script, b) trusts their scripts.

Lastly, if you are paying someone to fit it, it will be easier to figure out what is happening with SRM than with a bunch of bespoke scripts and SRM allows for 'dummy runs' which scripting may not do.

Good luck and post back with your final thoughts please.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware SRM (in the current version) does not have nothing to make a replication, it only control and manage it.

It require a storage replication mechanism (syncronous or async).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Lorr.. SRM only do accelerate your DR process and replication still need to be done at the storage level.

http://www.no-x.org
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SRM automates the SAN based replication (mount volume, snapshot, and etc) portion and you need to ensure that the SAN based replication is SRM ready

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ah yes, many thanks guys for your reply and explanation, I appreciate that.

so in this case suppose I've setup the same SAN hardware vendor and the SAN based replication is in effect, then i shouldn't need to worry as everything is automated in SAN level.

cmiiw ?

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

What your SAN level replication won't do is the actual VM failover. This is what SRM does. The two are meant to compliment each other.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply Josh,

Now I understand that If my SAN based replication took place already, the VM in the DR site copied but will still be offline that is where SRM kicks in and make sure that the other VM in the Prod is OFF ?

so if no SRM is installed or configured in both DR and Prod site, the VM must be manually executed.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Exactly.

0 Kudos