VMware Cloud Community
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 4.1 client problem

Hi all,

Installed SRM 4.1 onto VCenter server (also 4.1). Install completes successfully and service is running.

Using SQL auth as the SQL 2005 server is remote to the VCenter server. Database seems to be setup OK, documentation was a bit lacking but after a bit of trial and error got the SRM server installed fine, DB is populated with tables etc and no errors pop up during install.

I download the plugin to my Vsphere client and install it fine. Restart VIC, log into vcenter as usual, click on Site Recovery and get a popup saying:

"Connection to local Site Recovery Manager https://<vcenter-hostname>:8095/dr failed". Thats it no more info.

VC\SRM server is 2008 R2. New DB created on SQL 2005 remote server, created new schema under database\Security, created new user (sql user not windows user), mapped user to DB using the new schema. Set user to be owner of Schema. Gave schema permissions to DB. Username matches schema name which also matches DB name. DSN is 32-bit (from c:\windows\syswow64).

As it happens in an effort to troubleshoot I have given the user all server roles excluding sysadmin, but specifically it is a member of the bulkadmin server role.

So SRM seems to have installed OK, no errors shown in event log or when service starts. But just can't connect the plugin to it. Client is Win7 x64, with UAC enabled, running as normal user - this is how i work day-to-day, and all other vmware stuff works fine like this (VC,VUM etc). Tried running the VIC as local and domain admins but error remains the same.

any ideas or pointers?

cheers

0 Kudos
10 Replies
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry forgot to add a crucial piece of information - if I RDP onto the VC\SRM server and run the VIC from there, install SRM plugin, it works fine and I can access SRM.

0 Kudos
krik0011
Contributor
Contributor

Firewall issue?

0 Kudos
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

Don't think so, host FW on both the client and the server is off (service set to disabled). No other firewalls in our network infrastucture between me and the SRM server.

If i point IE at https://<vcenter-hostname>:8095/dr i get the usual certificate warning (using auto-generated certs not from our PKI) and then, after accepting the cert warning, I get a 404 Not found.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Have you restarted both SRM servers after the installation of SRM? Sometimes very strange issues happen if you don't restart them.

Doe this happen when you connect to the second SRM server too?

0 Kudos
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Yes restarted the VC\SRM server and client.

Not installed the 2nd server yet - thought i would crack this problem first.... do you think that is relevant?

0 Kudos
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

OK so installed SRM to second site VCenter and it works fine on the client.

Notable difference is that the DB is local in site2 on the VCenter machine - SQL Express 2005, named instance, SQL auth - whereas in site 1 the DB is remote SQL Standard 2005, default instance, SQL auth.

Now I know the client side is good i will again re-install SRM to site 1 and report back.

0 Kudos
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

Still no joy, same error. Opened SR1594856101, will update.

0 Kudos
Blithespirit
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get any help with this Dave?

I have similar problem, both sides are using SQL express and SRM 4.1 on thier own VM's, both VC and SRM are on the same host and no connectivity drops testing consistant pings. firewalls off on both machines and 2008R2 on both VM's. SRM is fully working and get same probelm over RDP and VMClient. my SRM works flawlessly but this is annoying.

Any help if yours is solved would be appreciated?

Thanks

0 Kudos
virtual_dave1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

No no joy yet, had a call from vmware support but couldn't immediately get to the bottom of it, have sent some more info to them (netstat results) but not heard back yet. Am chasing up as my storage is replicated and i'm ready to roll! Smiley Happy

Tried pairing the sites from the working DR SRM installation but it cannot connect to the primary site and errors out saying "could not connect to :80".

Will make sure to update if i get anywhere.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Blithespirit
Contributor
Contributor

Dave, thanks for the update, I have a fully paired and working site so this problem may not be the one stopping your pairing.

Test pairing with IP first then try FQDN if IP works. (you may have tried this first)

Good Luck

0 Kudos