VMware Cloud Community
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to create placeholder virtual machine at the recovery site

this message keeps come up to me when I am trying to configure protection to one o VMs

Unable to create placeholder virtual machine at the recovery site: Host, resource pool and datastore are not compatible.

Although the configuration in PS and RS same for inventory

Do anyone knows about this issue

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

What versions of SRM, vCenter and ESX do you have in your environment?

Does this VM have something special in its configuration?

0 Kudos
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM version 4.0.0

Vcenter version 4.0.0

ESX version 4.0.0

and what kind of special configuration do you mean

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Verify the version of ESX or ESXi you are running at the recovery site is the same as or newer than the protected site. SRM and vCenter versions should match exactly. What is the virtual hardware version of the VM you are trying to protect? If it is virtual hardware version 4, consider upgrading that VM to version 7. If all else fails, try removing the host(s) at the recovery site from vCenter and then add them back in, if it is not too much trouble - this will help rule out (or fix) possible corrupt/stale info in the vCenter database.

0 Kudos
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

removing the ESX hosts from vcenter at the recovery site and connected again can affect the other VMs in the protected group which has status ok already

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Understood. As I mentioned in my original post: "if it is not too much trouble".

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Does VM have serial port or USB controller connected?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

If you hosts are licensed for vMotion, you can enter them into Maintenance Mode and then remove without affecting VMs protection status.

0 Kudos
Blithespirit
Contributor
Contributor

software aside what hardware is on the RS? is it compatible? does it have the same CPU and memory available to use?

Does the resource pool assigned at the RS have enough resources and shares for the machine to live there?

If you go into the protection group at the PS and try to manually protect the VM what can you get too? it may give you a clearer picture of where the error sits?

also check that your placeholder directory does not have a same name VM nor does your RS vCenter.

does it sit in a protection group and have a warning triangle.

Maybe something on here will help a little!

0 Kudos