VMware Cloud Community
Kmart472
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two vCenter servers at protected site

Before I install SRM 4.1 within our infrastructure, I have been tasked to find out if we can have two instances of vCenter server protected by one SRM server. We have two seperate vCenter servers (for managament purposes) with VMs that share services and we would like to pair them on the same SRM server to be protected on one vCenter instance at the recovery site. I am new to SRM and have not installed it yet. My research has given me the impression that the above cannot be done but I would like to confirm within the community. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - So if I understand you correctly - you have two vCenter environment that you want to protect with SRM to a single recovery site - Starting with SRM 4.0 you are able pair many site to one recovery site

Support for shared recovery sites.
Enables many-to-one pairings of protected sites with a recovery site. For more information, see the technical note Installing, Configuring, and Using Shared Recovery Site Support, which is available at-

This from the release notes for SRM 4.0

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - So if I understand you correctly - you have two vCenter environment that you want to protect with SRM to a single recovery site - Starting with SRM 4.0 you are able pair many site to one recovery site

Support for shared recovery sites.
Enables many-to-one pairings of protected sites with a recovery site. For more information, see the technical note Installing, Configuring, and Using Shared Recovery Site Support, which is available at-

This from the release notes for SRM 4.0

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Kmart472
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you understood correctly. I believe you are right about it also being a feature on 4.0, 4.1. I just found a video explaining how to setup custom SRM installs for shared recovery sites. I will go ahead and move forward with the install. Thank you for your quick response! 

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You will need 4 SRM servers for your setup to work:

srm_s_r.png

SRM servers will be managed in pairs, so for example, it won't be possible to to have a protection group / recovery plan containing VMs from two protected vCenter servers.

Michael.

0 Kudos