VMware Edu & Cert Community
CC-NickG
Contributor
Contributor

VCP Eligibility for a VCAP holder

Hi all -

Can anyone give me some guidance on eligibility to recertify as a VCP-DCV-2022?

My most recent VMware cert is a VCAP-DCV-2019 (VCAP-Deploy), followed by VCAP-DCV-v6.5 Design and VCP-DCV-v6.5. I followed the 'Recertification path' outlined here https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=49318&ui=www_cert in 2019 by 'Advancing to the next level (VCAP), but cannot see any clear guidance on being eligible to take the 2022 VCP exam using my VCAP-2019 as the last exam taken.

Alternatively, do I have to update my VCAP to 2022 first, then take the VCP-2022?

I'd obviously like to avoid paying for a training course I don't need just to recertify!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just selected the "VCP6.5-DCV or Older" path on this page: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

You need to attend vSphere 7 training and pass a vSphere 7 exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
CC-NickG
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Scott - I did check that first, but it seems like an oversight to me that a there is no 'You are currently: VCAP' option when taking a VCP exam. I've raised a support ticket to understand why.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Drop an email to certification@vmware.com and ask them to confirm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should also note that the "recertification" policy you quote from was in place before VMware switched to using a year-based naming convention - so what they say was true when VCPs had to be recertified every 2 years, they don't now.

0 Kudos