VMware Edu & Cert Community
dee912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCA6-DCV Prep

Hello All,

Slowly coming up to speed with the VMware certification tracks.

I am starting to prep for the VCA6-DCV exam and had a few questions on the below:

[1] Is there a VMware Hands On Lab course I can look at for the DCV track ?

[2] There seems to be a VMware Press DCV Cert Guide. Is it helpful or should the Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals track be sufficient ?

Appreciate your input. Thank you !

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

‌You can launch a vSphere lab from here: VMware vSphere Hosted Evaluation

I think the book will be overkill - I've read plenty of people having passed the exam having completed the Fundamentals training and little else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

‌You can launch a vSphere lab from here: VMware vSphere Hosted Evaluation

I think the book will be overkill - I've read plenty of people having passed the exam having completed the Fundamentals training and little else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
dee912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That helps, thank you Scott !

0 Kudos
Zerski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey there - I have a new interest in VMware cert track.  I have some experience using esxi and vcenter at work, and have attended a few vmware trainings.  I really have no knowledge of what the exams contain and I'm just getting my feet wet.  Am I understanding that there is really no need for any books / printed reading material for the first exam?  As the other guy posted, I did see the Vmware press VCA book (I think from 2014).  I'm used to Cisco cert world where it would be somewhat unthinkable to not have some books and hardware.  Can you elaborate on what's really needed for the first exam for someone like me who has some experience already?  That would be great if the online material could probably get me through.  If there is a good book, can you recommend it?  Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VCAs are very much starter certifications, they aren't that technical and aren't widely recognised by partners or employers.

Have a look at this page for the VCA6-DCV exam and you can see what knowledge is tested, take the recommended training, and also take a practice exam that should give an indication of the level.

VCP level certifications such as VCP6-DCV are quite different, much more like what you've experienced with Cisco - you can't really pass exams at VCP level without hands-on, study, and there's a mandatory training requirement too.

0 Kudos
Zerski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.  I'll take a look at the links.  Smiley Happy  Are the hands on labs free to use forever?  I saw that I have "60 days" left.  Can I pay a fee to use them after that, or what happens after 60 days?  One of the things I was stoked about was how full-featured the hands on labs were, but would be unfortunate if they expire.  Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm not sure about expiry of a "hosted evaluation" - which was what I posted the link to earlier in the thread.

You can also do labs from VMware HOL Online - they can be done over and over again.

0 Kudos
Zerski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool thanks!  I attended a NSX overview/training a few weeks ago, and was pretty sure the instructor said the HOLs were unlimited, but found a somewhat different experience when I signed in from home for the first time last night.  I'll do some more reading.  Take care

0 Kudos