VMware Cloud Community
mewert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disable IPMI in ESX 3.5

Hello,

I recently implemented ESX 3.5 on my SunFire 40 Server (dual AMD single core CPUs); replacing ESX 3.02. When it boots it gets hung up for at least thirty minutes (no exaggeration) trying the connect to the ipmi drivers: ipmi_si - KCS, ipmi_si - SMIC, and ipmi_si - bt at different I/O ports.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to disable IPMI; or at least these checks for it?

2. With my Server evidently not supporting the Intel Management specification (IPMI); is this going to cause any problems? The system seems to operate fine except for the painfully long boot process.

I was a 3.5 beta tester and this occured with the beta's as well. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

M

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unload OpenIPMI driver that VMware loads, rpm -qa|grep -i IPMI should find it. I have an older ML350 G3 we try to blow up with new toys, and ESX 3.5 on it, gets the same error, but since the SMBus on the server is not recognized, it waits a second or two, and goes on.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unload OpenIPMI driver that VMware loads, rpm -qa|grep -i IPMI should find it. I have an older ML350 G3 we try to blow up with new toys, and ESX 3.5 on it, gets the same error, but since the SMBus on the server is not recognized, it waits a second or two, and goes on.

0 Kudos
mewert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.
I both grep'd the installed RPM's for ipmi (and IPMI) and dumped the entire list and manually examined it and could not find a related package (nothing with ipmi, openimpi, etc...). So, perhaps it's embedded within something else like a VMware related package. After having a good cup of coffee I realized it's simply a driver with a startup script. So I turned it off with the following chkconfig command (as root):
chkconfig --level 0123456 ipmi off
That took care of it and my system now boots lightening fast 🙂 All is well.
M
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So what you are saying is coffee is the key! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mewert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think Coffee, and not 42, is the answer to life, the universe and everything 🙂
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am kinda partial to Vogon Poetry though, we can keep a few archives at least Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mewert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And believe you me: I will always keep my towel handy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this cappuccino, expresso, or Latte?

I like cafe mocao, wow I need to go to Starbucks...

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My bad? I am so used to using hardware vendor agents, which usually load separate IPMI, I was thinking VMware had a separate RPM for it. The chkconfig trick is correct.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was reading the email notifications and missed the coffee comments before my last reply... and since I do not drink coffee, my final comment is...

"SO LONG... AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH"

0 Kudos
snafroth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

any hints how to disable the IPMI within esxi 3.5 u2?

Thanks!

0 Kudos