VMware Cloud Community
marvinb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I set up a vm so that I can use vnc?

We are having some strange issues with using vnc to connect to windows hosts. From some research, it looks like some configureation of the vm may be necessary.

Does someone have a procedure for setting up 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 vm's to allow access via vnc?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no configuration needs to be done... I've tested with TightVNC (they are pretty much all the same), and it works great with the default installs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just downloaded and installed TightVNC onto one of my test VM's and connected to it with no issues. What VNC product are you using as the server? We had some issues with TightVNC on some of our XPE WYSE devices, but that was just passthrough authentication. You can also try WinVNC.

hope this helps.

JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

marvinb:

You may also have Windows built-in firewall running on your guest OS. VNC is just an application running on the guest so there shouldn't be anything to do from a configuration point of view within the host. If the guest can get to your LAN then you should be okay.

marvinb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using RealVNC enterprise.

I saw some configuration that needed to be done on GSX, but that doesnt necessarily mean it needs to be done on esx.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no configuration needs to be done... I've tested with TightVNC (they are pretty much all the same), and it works great with the default installs.

0 Kudos
marvinb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After opening a case with vmware -- they imply that we dont need any special settings.

We are pursing some other avenues at the moment.

0 Kudos