VMware Cloud Community
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

New to Esx 3.0.1 Any help would be great!

I'm about to install Vmware ESX 3.0.1 on a two brand new IBM xseries 460 servers that will be used in conjunction with an IBM DS4700 Total storage unit. I have a 7 page document that has instructions on how to install, but I figured I might need some more help during the install. If you have any pointers on what should be done before hand, that would be great, however I'm just gonna post some stuff here if I need help and hopefully I will get a reply.

Probably a stupid question but should I install the setup and installation cd that came with the IBM x460 servers before I install ESX or can I just start with installing the ESX 3.0.1?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Andy66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may want to update all your firmware before you start. Also, it is a good idea not to connect your fibre until after the install, because if you choose automatic partition esx may format your san luns

Any reason you are installing version 3.01?

0 Kudos
mmethe
Contributor
Contributor

Good question Andy66.

1) I would install the lastest 3.5 U1 ESX

2) Disconnect HBA's but leave em in the servers so ESX can see em during the install

3) The ESX installer is quite good. I dont think you'll have any issues

4) Where do you plan to install Virtual Center (if using it)? Might be nice to have VC sitting out there so you can add the new ESX hosts to it immediately

HTH

-mwm

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

I use the DS4300 SAN with IBM LS20 blades - the management of the SAN is through a program called Storage Manager that runs on Windows. I haven't checked IBM's web site but my IBM rep hasn't said anything about Storage Manger being available to run on Linux.

IBM sells a version of Storage Manager that supports VMware but you can probably avoid that expense by setting the LUN type in Storage Manger to Linux Cluster.

Note: Storage Manager can access the DS4300 through its IP address and I haven't seen any information that this capability has been removed from the DS4700 so you can run Storage Manger on a workstation that is not directly connected to the SAN.

HTH

Mike

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks. I won't be hooking any fibre up to it yet anyways. I was giving this version of ESX from my boss along with a cd of 3.01 patches. I really don't have any say in what version they want to use.

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think we are gonig to be using virtual center as I havn't heard anything about it, but its quite possible. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As 3.5 is in the same series as 3.0.1. I would install 3.5 it has all the patches/fixes which occurred in 3.0.1 and also has additional functionality which means you can dom more stuff from Virtual Center and will have to assign less stuff at the command line within ESX. (ntp time sources etc)

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

WIth new installs I first like to do the following:

Upgrade the firmware on the hosts

Ensure the BIOS has the proper vendor suggested settings

Run Vendor diagnostics for minimally 24 hours

Run memtest86+ for at least 24 hours

Plan my ESX Install.

You will need to know your DIsk layout in advance and have all the answers to the installation questions prior to doing the install so that you know what options to select. For example, most people do not use the default disk layout. Others do not use the default networking setup either. Then when it comes to configuration, you have many more choices. A good plan will help with this.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. CIO Virtualization Blog: http://www.cio.com/blog/index/topic/168354, As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't think we are gonig to be using virtual center as I havn't heard anything about it, but its quite possible. Thanks for the info.

Hello,

If you are not going to use the VC to manage ur ESX Servers, how you gonna manage them? Directly accessing the host servers via the VIC?

What about your Licesing Service "Server"?

What is the Storage Methodelogy for your VMs ? They will be resides on internal VMFS or a SAN VMFS?

Always remember, a good plan is the way to Kick Start!!!!!

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Well I got a copy of ESX 3.5 afterwards and finally started the install a few days ago and everything was fine until it restarted after the install and now it won't boot into ESX on its own. I have to go to setup and manually select the HDD I installed it on Smiley Sad Its strange because I created a custom partition table and set the / and /boot to primary so shouldn't it load up no problem. I have a feelin its a setting on the IBM X460 for some reason too, but I could be wrong.

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Well I solved the problem. It has a Raid controller in it and all I had to do was mirror the drives. After I set up the array I was able to install and load no problem.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

If you install anymore or do a reinstall of your existing you might want to also set your /swap to 1600mb in case you later need to bump up the memory given to your service console. Kind of hard to do this later.

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I've already set the /swap to 1600MBs. It was outlined in my instruction sheet. Thanks though.:8} Its nice to see people know what there talking about here as I'm just a newbie when it comes to this and this board and the people in it are a big help to me right now.

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Im trying to configure a virtual ethernet switch and I'm at the point to add vmotion and vmusernetwork only when I try to issue the command esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic0 vSwitch1 It won't execute. I realize this could be a variety of things but if anyone has an obvious solution please let me know. thanks!

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Try esxcfg-vswitch -L=vmnic0 vSwitch1

Think you just need the = between the L and the pnic.

Also, not sure if you can set a virtual switch to use vmotion from the service console or not. Never tried. You should probably have one switch for your vm machines and another for vmotion.

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks! I'll give it a try in a minute.

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just a thought - are you running the command as root?

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using the = sign jayolsen but it never worked. Thanks

though! A few minutes after that I found the problem....when I ran my

esxcfg-nics -l command I saw my vmnic wasn't linked to the Vswitch I

created earlier. So once I linked it to the proper vSwitch it worked.

Smiley Happy

Yes, I am using the root account. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just wondering - why are you configuring this stuff through the COS? Why don't you use the VI Client GUI?

I know some people prefer command line but as you're new to this, why complicate it?

Jon.

0 Kudos
skosugi
Contributor
Contributor

Because I was given instructions from another department that use the server console. I have the Vmware Infrastructure Client installed and I'm able to connect to the server via ip address but I didn't think you could manage it from there.

In my instructions I have to use the Virtual Center to configure some things as well. Is that the same as Vmware Infrastructure Client or is that just what is used to access the virtual center for your host?

I am very new to this, but I'm picking up on some things as I go along.

0 Kudos