VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The easiest way to Managing and Maintaining Guest VM from VM_Template using ESXi 3.5

Hi,

I'd like to know, how does people do in creating a guest VM from a VM_Template in ESXi 3.5 ?

previously i was using VMWare Server 2.0 and it worked by just copy paste the directory and then renaming the directory and files and the most important thing is that customizing the .VMX file

is there any simple way of doing it ?

I'm using Veeam FastSCP at the moment for copy pasting from my machine to the ESXi 3.5u4 Server.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No you can't - USB is not supported........ well it can be, but you must use a USB over IP device.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

templates and clones are a feature of vCenter, but this guide may be helpful

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vc_2_templates_usage_best_practices_wp.pdf

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply,

OK, it is easier to use VC to manage the VM, but in this case if I don't use that what are my options then ?

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One option would be to create a master VM, sysprep it and then take an image of the VM using an imaging tool such as Ghost or Shadow Protect. Then all you would have to do is create a new VM, boot off the imaging CD and restore the image......

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

LOL, sounds like as if I were restoring the image from a filed hardware Smiley Happy (baremetal restore), ok that'll do because I've got Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5.3 (BESRO) and also Acronis True Image 2009 Home for the workstations.

I tried the following method like what i usually do in VMWare server 2.0 and it failed miserably:

1. renaming the file and the dir.

2. editing the .VMX file

I even do the full SCP copy using Veeam FastSCP but it is very time consuming.

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yeah I know what you mean - treat it like a physical in regards to imaging of the server.

There are a few tweaks you have to do with the file copy, registering the VM etc. I'd probably use the method I inidicated before as you can deploy it as many times as you like from the image and it keeps it consistent.

It's similar to what I've done before for a customer in a GSX environment before ESX was implemented.....

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That is right mate,

now I'm stuck in returning back the VM after FastSCP as the new renamed VM is not recognizable in VI client Smiley Sad

well,I guess the poor man's way of doing this VM isreally time consuming, so the only smart option is by using the VCenterwith some amount of $$$ to be spent.

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is the original VM still listed and operation on your ESX server? If my understanding is correct, it should be as you've only made a copy of it?

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

java_cat33,

The answer is no, It is a lesson that i learnt today. At the moment the original VM has been renamed and put into separate folder named VM_template and I deleted the VM from VIClient entry.

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you say the VM is unrecognisable, you get an error when trying to add the VM to the inventory?

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

yes, the error is very2 notorious, the infamous blue screen of death (BSoD).

When i tried to transfer around more than 40 GB in dir. size using FastSCP into my Laptop (Intel Core2Duo 9400 - 4 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD)

what a hard lesson today Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Very true - problem could be anywhere.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

OK, last question is that, is it possible to put a USB2 external drive in ESXi host to be use for file migration ?

thanks.

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No you can't - USB is not supported........ well it can be, but you must use a USB over IP device.

0 Kudos