VMware Cloud Community
EOrtiz
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade VMachine from Win2k to Win2k3 Problem

Hello

I try to upgrade a Virtual Machine from Windows 2k to Windows 2k3. I see the instalation screen and The last reboot when instalation finished. The problem appear on the logon screen. I cant enter to login into my VMachine. I press CTRALTINS to try to login into my VMachine and I cant. Also I can't move my mouse. I try to add a second processor, add more memory but problems continue. I install the VM Tools before the upgrade and dont work. The computer is not froozen because I see the screen saver running.

Pls let me know Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EOrtiz
Contributor
Contributor

I have my VCenter in 3.5 ESX Server. I try to install Windows 2k3 "Guest OS" on my Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did you have networking configured before you upgraded? Can you ping the old IP, and if yes, can you terminal service into the server?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Confirm that the Virtual SCSI card is LSI Logic and not BUS Logic - There was an issue of running W2K3 machines with the virtua SCSI card set Bus Logic with out loading the approriate driver - l

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
EOrtiz
Contributor
Contributor

Dont Work.... Blue Screen when System Load

0 Kudos
EOrtiz
Contributor
Contributor

I disable all the Network card and connections. Dont Work

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

What happen if you try to run windows 2003 repair mounted to .iso image to see if it moves any further or your mouse is working at all. If not, you might want to backup your data drive using VMware Converter and redeploy windows 2003 from templates. Install freshed 2003 server and convert them to template is quick enough to provision any servers instead spending lots of time troubleshooting. Unless this is critical production servers and doesn't allow you to do so.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

What azn2kew said. I would run a repair. Can you get keyboard/mouse on a reboot before the guest starts?

0 Kudos
EOrtiz
Contributor
Contributor

Im just create from scratch the computer. I dont know Why the computher dont work. On the installation of Win2k3 I can move the mouse But when Restart for finishing, I cant use the keyboard or mouse. Its very strange. The computher dont recognized the CTLALTDEL command sended from the console.

Thanks all for your help. I create a new machine with a 2k3 template and re-install all the aplication manually... Thanks

0 Kudos