VMware Cloud Community
zeylan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center 2.5 components won't install

I managed to get a new VC 2.5 installation finished, but the VMware Update Manager won't install. I get the error "Error 25085.Setup VMware Update Manager extension to VMware Virtual Center Server: <server IP>". Then it fails with "Warning 25015.VMware Update Manager could not be installed." There's no indication of why it won't install.

I also can't get the VMware Converter Enterprise for Virtual Center to install. The error is: "Error 25085.Failed to to register the extension."

Anyone know what's wrong here?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
tenco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had similar problem with the Update Manager installation.

First i got the error message:

Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help.

And then i got the error message:

Warning 25015. VMware Update Manager could not be installed.

I solved this problem this way: at the installation point "VirtualCenter Server Authorization" you must set a Administrator user. I configured this user with local administration rigts on server. Important is to set the password only in letters. If i used numbers or other characters the Update Manager could not be installed. I set the password with 8 characters.

0 Kudos
BrandonJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In case anyone else is still having these problems, I just fixed my issued after a great deal of kicking and screaming (trying all of the things that everyone else tried). My issue (which was giving the same errors) was that I had set the built in Administrators group to read-only in VC as a counter-measure against the far to large list of Domain Administrators in our environment. Temporarily setting it back to being a VC Administrator resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
jprevett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this exact same problem (my error stated incorrect username/password as well for the components) and the post about special characters was dead on. Even though I verified my local admin password, it still came back as incorrect during the install. I changed my local admin password to something simple with no special characters and the install worked perfectly. Thanks for the info! Although, what a crock that is.

0 Kudos
NattyBoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wish I would have known this in advance as well.

VirtualCenter Consolidation service Usernames and Passwords must use only ASCII characters -

BOH

0 Kudos
thesimpsons
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you start installing Virtual Center, select only Virtual Center and Client. After the installation is done, make sure you can logon to Virtual Center with the local administrator account from VI Client. Once you're able to log on, close Virtual Center. Now, start with the installation CD again, this time you will select VMWare Update Manager and Converter. Make sure you use the local administrator when the installation ask for it. For the database, you can use the same databse with virtual center or seperate database (I would prefer the separated one) After the installation is done, you need to download the plugin and enable it. You should be able to see Consolidation and VMWare Update Manager menu.

0 Kudos
tom_grimes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried all the above suggestions with no success, then I tried with a domain admin account and it worked. Seems like the service account and the local system account just didn't have the rights for some reason.

0 Kudos
Sharantyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not the same upgrade, but I getthis error with U4.

I'm trying to change password and will let you know.

worked, but VMware Infrastructure Update don't work anymore. Just won't start.

Sad

0 Kudos