VMware Cloud Community
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I make VM stay on ONE ESX Server?

dear all:

There are two ESX Servers (ESX Server A / B) in a Cluster with HA and DRS.

Is it possible to make a VM always stay on ESX Server A all the time and how?

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For HA

1 Select the cluster and choose Edit Settings from the right-click menu.

2 Under the HA Cluster In the Cluster Settings dialog box, select Virtual Machine Options

3 Select an individual virtual machine

4 under restart priority set to disable

For DRS

2 Under the DRS cluster In the Cluster Settings dialog box, select Virtual Machine Options in the left column.

4 Change the Automation level to disable

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - set the per VM settings for the to disable the DRS and HA settings - this will keep the VM on that host - another way is to store the VM on a VMFS datastore only accessible by ESX server A

If you find this or any other answer useful consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

agreed...if you want to be certain to keep a VM on one host, store the VM on local storage if you can. That way it can never be manually hot migrated over to another host.

0 Kudos
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you weinstein5,

set the per VM settings for the to disable the DRS and HA setting----you mean, do i have to disable the cluster settting to stop DRS and HA setting?

Can i just keep this VM on the ESX server, and the rest of the VM still can vmotion between two Esx server?

thank you again.

hihiy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes I mean disable DRS and HA for the VM in particular not for the cluster - this will not affect the other VMs that are part of the DRS/HA cluster - actually this is the better way to do it because if your VM is on shared storage you at least will still be able to manually vmotion this vm if you have to do maintenance on ESX A -

0 Kudos
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you .

and How can I disable DRS and HA for this particular VM??? I cannot find this function in editing setting.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For HA

2 Under the HA Cluster In the Cluster Settings dialog box, select Virtual Machine Options

4 under restart priority set to disable

For DRS

2 Under the DRS cluster In the Cluster Settings dialog box, select Virtual Machine Options in the left column.

4 Change the Automation level to disable

0 Kudos
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you very much indeed.

0 Kudos
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you very much indeed.