VMware Cloud Community
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Default gateway for esx server

hi we are using esx server 3.5 update 3 in 2 node vcms cluster. every thing was running fine till we disable the ping on default gateway.

now after that my HA configuration showing lott of problem..

please help me out on that the default gateway ping enable requiremnt for HA to be configured.. or please tell ma can i provide VCMS IP as default gateway for ESX to configre HA on cluster.

Ravi
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi...

HA relies on the SC default gateway is able to recieve PINGs, as this is how it figures out ifthe host itself has become isolated from the network.,, This is per default.

But you can select another IP to ping if this is now blocked on your default gateway. You can set this using advanced HA options.

Duncan have put up a nice simple list here: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/10/06/update-ha-advanced-options-2/

Hope it helps..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply.

actually problem is that my default gateway is virtual ip and it is notallowed to reply any ping request (vrrp feature)

please suggest me which sort of different ip i can use(can it be VC IP)

or kernal gateway .

Ravi
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Dosn't matter what it is as long it ALWAYS respond to ICMP requests.... So do not use a server IP, imo. They are rebooted etc at times...

What about a core switch IP?

Ohh.. and btw: An IP addresse within the service consoles own subnet. That way you can rule out any L3 routing errror in you HA config..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

CAN I USE ANY CORE SWITCH IP FOR DEFAULT GATE ( FOR KERNAL ,SERVICE CONSOLE)

Ravi
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Don't use the IP as a default gateway.. Set the HA advanced option "das.isolationaddress" to this IP,

in stead of sending "heartbeats" to the default gateway, the ESX host will now send them to this IP address,,

The reason for suggestion a core switch IP is because these do not usally get rebooted every day..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for reply

last query ,, can i use stoarge ipaddress for this option

Ravi
0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Rubek

I did the same setting but they donot work.

Ravi
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

They do work, but you will need to disable the use of the default gateway as well:

das.usedefaultisolationaddress = false

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks CHamp. for help.

i set VCMS ip as default gateway and thins start working for me and also i manually uninstall the agent also.

Thanks Once again.

Ravi
0 Kudos