VMware Cloud Community
Shin1974
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.2-61618 upgrade failed

Hi,

Tried upgrading our ESX 3.0.2-52542 to 3.0.2-61618, the upgrade seemed to go ok but the server no longer boots up.

Just displays "GRUB" during boot and thats it.

Regards,

Surinder..

0 Kudos
9 Replies
virtualray
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a resolution to your issue. I am having the same problem on a Dell PowerEdge 6950.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds like to me the upgrade did not complete. Are you using iLO by any chance? I have had this happen. Usually if you restart the installation you will be able to then chose the upgrade option again.

0 Kudos
virtualray
Contributor
Contributor

NO iLo, did the upgrade from the local console. I will give it another try. Thank you.

0 Kudos
virtualray
Contributor
Contributor

Re-ran the install and same error. Noticed on the bootloader page that the install was trying to install on a fiber channel LUN. I unplugged the fiber cables for the upgrade and everything worked fine. Just wanted to know if it is best practice to always unplug the fiber cables when upgraded from a CD or do i need to do some configuration in ESX to always boot from local disk?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the recommended way is to unplug the fiber, but I usually upgrade without unplugging anything, you just have to be careful. I just upgraded today, three ESX Hosts to the same build you are on, without unplugging the fiber.

0 Kudos
Shin1974
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, i noticed that it was trying to boot of the SAN and not the local disks. So i physically disconnected the SAN, and reran the upgrade.

After the upgrade i reconnected the SAN, booted up the servers it worked fine with no problems. I upgraded the other ESX servers the same way with no issues.

Surinder...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

perfect... sounds like the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This same thing happened to me in my 3.0 to 3.5 upgrade. I retried the install and it happened again. I did not unplug the hba's, but I guess I'll give that a try if I ever encounter this again. I just did a fresh build...

~grc

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Whenever this happens it's usually because you left the Fibre/iSCI connections attached to the SAN, and when you perform the upgrade, it will automatically find the first available bootable device, and it won't boot from the loca drive as expected.

So when you do the upgrade, make sure you either unplug the Fibre/iSCI during the upgrade, or edit custom bootloader configuration and ensure that it's pointing to the local RAID/SCSI card to boot from the local drives.

0 Kudos