VMware Cloud Community
SGTVogt
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3i (3.5.0) bld 110271 - no service console?

I thought I was "patching" my ESX 3.5 install to the latest build date, well it turned out to be a total re-install (which was fine) now I'm trying to reconfigure my virtual switches to the configuration shown in the attached .jpg

BUT I cant get a Service console and VMotion vmkernel set up at the same time like I used to.

I supose it doesnt matter as I can have my management port be the same as my Vmotion port, I just want to know if i'm missing something

my "old" ESX install is 3.5.0 bld 64607

anyone have any insight on this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

that's because you downloaded 3i not ESX 3.5 U2. There are 3 versions, free 3i, Enterprise / Embedded 3i, and ESX 3.5 U2 (which still includes service console).

SGTVogt
Contributor
Contributor

Obviously I'm pretty new to VMware, it wasn't very clear when I went to patch, I'm going to assume I don't even have licensing for 3i (I figured it was just a new naming convention for 3.5) what "should" I have done to upgrade from my older install of 3.5

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

As ESXi does not include a service console, you'll want to setup on vmkernel port (same IP as the old SC port) to manage your ESXi host and another vmkernel port for vmotion. You'll want to seperate the two roles (management / vmotion) and vmotion will have to be on a seperate subnet (and preferably secure network / VLAN).

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With a VI license you can install either ESX or ESXi.

0 Kudos
SGTVogt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll look into what I just did to myself (try and find some 3i documentation).

0 Kudos