VMware Cloud Community
rtkaczyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Errors when trying to shrink vmdk file

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to shrink a VM on an ESX3.5 server that has it's VM stored on the local server. The original VM is 60GB, and I'd like to make it 36GB. I have already used GParted to resize the partition. The error I'm gettin is:

/usr/sbin/vmkfstools -X 36G SERVER.vmdk

Failed to extend disk : One of the parameters supplied is invalid (1).

I also tried this on another ESX server and another VM and I got the same error. What is going on? I have read that you can shrink the partitions like this...

Thanks

Radek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's definitely not supported. If you want to resize it your best bet would be to convert it from virtual to virtual and chose a different disksize. this is supported.

It isn't supported because vmkfstools never knows which blocks of the vmdk are filled with data and which not.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's definitely not supported. If you want to resize it your best bet would be to convert it from virtual to virtual and chose a different disksize. this is supported.

It isn't supported because vmkfstools never knows which blocks of the vmdk are filled with data and which not.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Radek

try the command with the --force option

Carpe Diem

Markus

Message was edited by: markvor

Sorry just my fault you want to shrink.

You could only do this with the converter.

rtkaczyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick reply. So this article, and numerous like it that I found on the net are incorrect?

Hmmm looks like this feature has been removed...

Ta.

Radek

0 Kudos
wilson94t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>It isn't supported because vmkfstools never knows which blocks of the vmdk are filled with data and which not.

who cares? If we shrink the partition within the VMDK we should know, so vmkfstools doesn't need to. --force options in Unix/Linux are often like this. "do something even though it may get me into trouble" The point being, a gun without bullets is no use at all. Let me manage my files and partitions the most effective way. Don't remove features because some of your user population isn't willing to read directions.

We were successful with this on ESX 2.5 quite often. It's a real shame VMware has been so manipulated by idiot users. All the workarounds for this are highly time consuming and need not be.

0 Kudos