VMware Cloud Community
mrstardust
Contributor
Contributor

Health status sometimes shows unknown

Hello!

We here have three Sun Fire X4150 with ESX 3.5.0 (110268) running. Virtual Center is running with local database in a VM with MS Server 2003 R2.

We have the problem, that soemtimes the health status of the servers is shown as "unknown". Sometimes it´s regarding only one server, sometimes two - never saw all three "unknown". After a few minutes it refreshes back again to "normal".

I have already restarted the vmware management service and also rebooted the complete servers. But that did not change anything - still the "unknown" comes and goes.

Does anyone has some ideas what we can do to ged rid of this issue?

thx & br

Martin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roanry
Contributor
Contributor

Check to ensure that your host file contains all the hosts and the vCenter FQDN names here: /etc.hosts

You can also try removing the hosts from vCenter and readding them.

0 Kudos
mrstardust
Contributor
Contributor

The hosts file contained already the names of the ESX hosts, i have now also added the vCenter FQDN.

I have removed the hosts already in the past to try to solve this issue, that didnt work.

We will have to wait a little bit to see if adding the vCenter FQDN has already solved our problem.

0 Kudos
mrstardust
Contributor
Contributor

OK, unfortunately this wasnt the solution for our problem. A few minutes after editing the hosts file, one host was "unknown" again. I then restartet vmware management service on all servers to ensure that hosts file is "loaded" in the right version (no idea if this was necessary, but I tried) - but still again there is a host (another) on "unknown" status.

When I check the detail page under configuration - health status, there is only the Memory "normal". All other components are "unknown". After a few minutes, all lights are green again - without doing anything.

0 Kudos