VMware Cloud Community
mikera
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install VirtualCenter later?

I am about to install my first ESX Server. Due to budget constraints we are only implementing the single ESX box now, with plans to add a second host and VirtualCenter next year. Will there be any problems getting VirtualCenter installed and configured to manage the first ESX host if it is installed after that first ESX host is already up and running stand-alone? Will there be any problems "converting" the stand-alone host to a VC-managed host?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not at all. All you have to do is setup VC and the License server, and point the ESX host to the License server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not at all. All you have to do is setup VC and the License server, and point the ESX host to the License server.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You shouldn't have any problems. After you install VC, you'll want to convert your current host based license file to a license file that will run on the VC licensing service and then update your current ESX host to got it's license info from the VC license server.

Once you have VC up and running, besides the change in licensing, you'll just have to add your existing ESX host.

ertam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me add my question to this topic ...

I am planning the same mikera.

Our route will be similar to this;

\- Install second esx server on the new hardware

\- Create new vm for ms os for vc in the one of the esx server.

\- Create license server in one of the esx server.

\- Point vc and esx's to license server.

\- Add both esx servers to vc

right ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To make things easier just keep the VC server and licensing server together in one VM. Otherwise, the process will be as you have it.

0 Kudos
ertam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

For that vm, we need ms server 2003 license and mssql server license right ?

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done exactly this and it works fine. Moved from a standalone ESX server to an ESX server and VC install on a VM.

You will need a Windows 2003 license for the VC VM, and a MS SQL 2000 (SP4) or MS SQL 2005 license for the VC database. Or you can use an Oracle DB.

0 Kudos
mikera
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does the DB need to be on the same VM as VC or can it be housed on a separate SQL 05 VM? Would this introduce any performance issues if it is possible?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run SQL in the same VM as VC or on a seperate server (VM or physical). Unless you're looking at a large farm, you would be fine running it all within one VM.

0 Kudos
mikera
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I'm primarily thinking of the fact that I'll already have a dedicated SQL 05 VM so I don't want to have to pay for another SQL license.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then you'd be fine to host the VC database on that VM.

0 Kudos
jbp00007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been doing the same planing since last year and now got approve for second server. I already install VC and 1st ESX last year back but nothing is configured on VC.

I am planing to install 2nd ESX server first and then configure VC with our central SQL 2000 database cluster server which we are upgrading to SQL 2005 in next 6 months also.

I don't think so there is any problem if you do it correctly and get stuck come back to discussion for help.

Thanks,

JB

0 Kudos