VMware Cloud Community
mabedfo
Contributor
Contributor

Maximo on VMware

Hi all,

Has anyone run the program Maximo now owned by IBM before on VI3 ok?

Maximo doesnt seem to be a very common program and I cant find anyone that has virtualised it?

We P2V'd a physical server running Maximo the other week and it keeps having pages timing out issues on the Maximo web page it serves up but im sure its not issues relating to it being virtualised.

Tags (1)
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't run it myself, but take a look at steps 8 and 9 here. They outline some tasks to look at after you do a P2V. . Do you have VMware Tools installed and was there a change in CPU count with the P2V operation?

0 Kudos
mabedfo
Contributor
Contributor

The P2V process was sucessful throughout, its more a case of knowing if anyone out there has Maximo running on VMware 3 ok?

0 Kudos
TRM-Janitor
Contributor
Contributor

We have recommended and are running VMWare with MAXIMO at several client sites.

Greg

0 Kudos
mabedfo
Contributor
Contributor

Which version of Maximo are you running on VMware 3 ok?

Have you made any Maximo settings different from running it on a physical box?

Have you found IBM supporting you running Maximo on VMware 3?

0 Kudos
mits1
Contributor
Contributor

TRM-Janitor, can you provide any details customer satisfaction with Maximo on VMware ?:|

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

We just purchased this product with the intent of running on VMs. Project hasn't started yet. However, during my research of the product I did find this IBM forum thread on Maximo and VMs from one user...

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=171785

0 Kudos
darowe55
Contributor
Contributor

I want to know how to setup the maximo 5.0 agent on a ESX 3.5 upd 2. I am using the unix agent for redhat and I see the servcie stating after the install is complete but the information about the server dose not show up in the maximo discovery console. I suppect that it is a port issues. The 5003 port on the server is not open, how would I check the port on the ESX server.

Also can anyone point me to where I can find the command to create a new account that has SSH rights to the box?

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

Can't help with the setup of the maximo agent, haven't gotten that far yet. However, to check on ESX for open ports, from the console you'd run netstat -a | more to get a list of open ports.

For the ssh user, take your pick from the following:

VI Client:

1) Login directly to an esx host (not into virtual center) using root

2) Go to the users & groups tab

3) Right-click and select Add

4) Provide username/password and be sure to check the Grant shell access checkbox.

Commandline:

1) From the cli, run useradd -d /home/ssh ssh

2) Enter password when prompted

3) Then using nano or vi edit sshd_config file. Somewhere in the config file, add AllowUsers ssh. Then change PasswordAuthentication to yes

4) Run service sshd restart

5) Test the ssh login.

0 Kudos
darowe55
Contributor
Contributor

Jwoods

Thanks for your help really needed the answer the maximo agent. I think the problem is the port. Maximo needs port 5003 to be open so that it could talk to the discovery server. I checked the installation codes and it dose not open the ports by defualt. So I am looking into the iptalbes command to see how to open the port. could anyone help with this.just a simple bi-directional communication on port 5003. Help

0 Kudos