VMware Cloud Community
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

NFS Shares

I'm currently running 9 ESX 3.5 u2/3 servers with a single VC 2.5 server, hosting approximately 40 virtual machines.

I want to be able to take advantage of vmotion and understand that I need to have my virtual machines on "shared" storage

With this in mind I created a single NFS share to store all of my vm's on. However, now I'm running out of space on the share.

My storage is all on an HP StorageWorks AiO1200R storage array, running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2.

Originally I was using iSCSI to add storage to the ESX servers but, that doesn't appear to be "shared" storage from the ESX servers perspective.

My NFS share is currently 10TB, I have an additional 5TB available, but, I've not seen anyway to extend the NFS share.

Many of the vm's I'm currently hosting are high use, development systems that I can't shutdown.

Any suggestions and / or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You're not extending the share, per se. You'd need to extend the volume which you are sharing out as NFS. This would need to happen at the windows level, by increasing the volume / folder you're sharing out.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what was said, Windows Storage Server iSCSI creates a iSCSI target volume. This taget volume is a file that stored somewhere on local storage. So if you're still using Windows' iSCSI as the datastore for ESX, then you'd also nee to increase the iSCSI target volume in addition to increasing your local storage. (Or create additional iSCSI targets.)

0 Kudos