VMware Cloud Community
TxTechLaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Safest Method to Delete Multiple Old Snapshots

I have been using Equallogic's ASM/VE tool to do snapshots, but on 1 of my VMs, it didn't clean up properly and has stranded some snapshots. I want to use the safest procedure for deleting/committing these snapshots.

A further complication, as the screenshots show, Snapshot Manager shows that I have 4 snapshots, but when I browse the datastore, I see that there are some snap files from 2/19 that Snapshot Manager is not seeing.

So, should I use the "Delete All" option in Snapshot Manager, or delete the snaps one at a time, I guess starting with which individual snap?

Much thanks,

Chad

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The safest approach would be to start at the bottom of the list of snapshots and delete them one at a time while working your way up the list. Using the delete all can potentially consume a lot of disk space.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Safest way is to migrate that VM using VM Converter, then delete the original. If you don't need ANY of the snapshots, that's the best way to do it.

So, should I use the "Delete All" option in Snapshot Manager, or delete the snaps one at a time, I guess starting with which individual snap?

This may work, but if you have orphan snapshots, migrating is the simplest way to get rid of them. Delete ALL may take a LONG time and cause your ESX server to time out.

vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The safest approach would be to start at the bottom of the list of snapshots and delete them one at a time while working your way up the list. Using the delete all can potentially consume a lot of disk space.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos