VMware Cloud Community
CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The "Console" tab fails on the servers laying on an ESX Server 3.5.0 host

Hi,

On one of our VMware ESX Server 3.5.0, 123630 hosts, I get an error message when I try to use the "Console" tab on the servers lying on this ESX server.

The error message is "Cannot connect to host esx006.sb.local: a connection attempt fails because the connected party did not respond properly after a period or connection failed because the connected host did not answer."

This ESX Server is configurated as all the other ESX servers in our enviroment, so I do not understand why it does not work on this ESX Server.

I have not problems connecting to the ESX Server and I do not have any problems connecting to the servers through the mstsc.

I have the following VMware Infrastructure clients installed on my computer:

- VMware Infrastructure Client 2.5

- VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0

- VMware vSphere Client 4.1

To connect to the above mensioned ESX Server, I use the "VMware Infrastructure Client, Version 2.5.0, Build 147704" client.

Can you help me solve this mystery?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again 😃

Sorry you're still having problems...  hopefully we'll get there in the end!!

Anyway, have a look at the following site, there is a solution on there that may help (it certainly worked for several people that added to the comments!)

Please give this a try and let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Waffle

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

It sounds like a firewall issue to me, if you haven't already have a look at the following article and hopefully it should help you to resolve your problem.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/749640

If not please let me know 😃

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos
CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Waffle,

Unfortunately it is not a firewall issue, we do not have any firewall in front of our ESX Servers, unlees there is a firewall included in the ESX Server that I do not know about?

It has been a problem on this ESX Server ever since the installation of it, so the "console" has never worked on it.

I do not know if this helps you any further? - But in any case thank you very much for trying to help! Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey!

Actually ESX (that is ESX and not ESXi) does include a firewall, and certainly could cause that problems you are describing if the required port (903-tcp iirc) is not open.  Are you running ESX and not ESXi?

If you are, this is certainly worth looking at first to see if it resolves your problem.  It may be worth stopping the firewall on the host first and test again to see if it helps before digging deeper...  Have a look at this article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003634 for info on stopping the firewall.

Hope this helps  😃

Waffle

0 Kudos
CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Waffle,

It is ESX that we are running and not ESXi, I am sorry if this was not clear enough and confused your troubleshooting!:smileyplain:

We have tried to stop the firewall on the ESX Server (I have attached an image with this) and it did not help... It is still not possible to gain access to the "Console" tab on the servers.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again 😃

Sorry you're still having problems...  hopefully we'll get there in the end!!

Anyway, have a look at the following site, there is a solution on there that may help (it certainly worked for several people that added to the comments!)

Please give this a try and let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oops... forgot the link! here it is 😃

http://vmetc.com/2008/06/02/vi-client-open-console-attempt-fails/

Anyway, the connection seems to be heavily reliant on name resolution working perfectly. have you checked the DNS configuration on the ESX host to ensure that it can resolve the name of the guest ?

Cheers

Waffle

CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Waffle,

THAT DID IT! - Now it works :smileygrin:

Thank your so very much for your help! :smileygrin:

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Carl-Marius

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Please consider awarding points if you found it useful 😃

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos
CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Waffle,

I have been trying to give you the "Helpfull answer" and the "Correct answer", but no matter which I choose, I just gets forwarded to the top of the page... I have tried in Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.6.13, and I cannot mark your post Smiley Sad

So I am very sorry that I can not award you correctly, I do not know what I am doing wrong, it should be necessary just press the links but it does not work for me Smiley Sad.

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Please don't worry about it, and many thanks for trying so hard to sort it out. Smiley Happy  I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are problems assigning points on the forums, i'm sure they'll get it fixed soon!

The important thing is that you got your problem sorted  Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Waffle