VMware Cloud Community
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM console over NATed network

Hi all!

I access my VC server throught a nated ip address. EX: My ESX server address is 10.20.40.15 and to access it I type 21.20.40.15.

Everything works fine, ESX configuration, networks, etc.. But when I try to open the VM console I get an error message sayind that is not possible to communicate to 10.20.40.15, and then opens a blank console, and I cannot see my VM console.

does anyone know a solution to this? Why the ESX server doesn´t respond on nated address?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bflynn0
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To use the NAT'ed address add the following to the /etc/vmware/config[/b] file in the VMware ESX Service Console:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
englem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this happen to me when I was going through the firewall. My issue was resolved when I checked with our WAN group and saw quite a few ports being blocked.

Check your logs or with your networking group and see if there are any ports getting blocked. Can't guarantee this is your problem but they are pretty similar.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VM remote console connects directly to the ESX server and not the VC server. It also uses port 903 instead of 902.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=609820

0 Kudos
bflynn0
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To use the NAT'ed address add the following to the /etc/vmware/config[/b] file in the VMware ESX Service Console:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE

0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do I need to restart any service on SC?

0 Kudos
bflynn0
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't believe you do.

If anything you might need to restart the VMware host agent

service mgmt-vmware restart[/code]

Also, this will only work if you are using the VIClient to connect directly to the ESX Host, it will not work when connecting through a VC server.

luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But If I want to connect trhought VC?

Is there a solution ?

0 Kudos
bflynn0
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As far as I'm aware this bug hasn't been addressed when connecting through VC. Hopefully VMware will address it soon, but right now the only work around is to use the vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy option and connect the VI Client directly to the ESX Server to view a VM Console on a NAT'ed ESX Host.

0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It worked also to open console throught VC.

Thanks all for the posts.!

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ack!

From home I'm connected via MPLS to the ESX cluster, and always wondered why the console didn't work from there. As far as I know there are no filters.

But adding vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy did the trick, thanks!

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
Grider
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im trying to access the VMWare Server cluster and the consoles do not seem to work. Adding vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy does not seem to do the trick. Is there a work around ?

0 Kudos