VMware Cloud Community
HansDoerr
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS slow with HP Smart Array P400 controllers

I just had an issue with an HP DL380 G5 local storage Smart Array P400 (not P400i) SCSI controller: ESX versions 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.2 Update 1. The VMFS was extremely slow (1000Kbps transfer rate on a Gigabit Ethernet connection, for example). When I copied to file systems other than VMFS, it was fast. Turns out it was the Smart Array controller. My customer happened to also purchase the Smart Array P800 controller (supported by 3.0.2 and an auxilliary driver CD for 3.0.1). So, I pulled the P400 out of the system and connected the drive array to the P800 controller. Works like a charm now. Other people have posted they had success with a Battery-Backed Write-Cache Module (BBWC) from HP, but I didn't get the chance to try that. I fortunately had the P800's to work with.

Smiley Happy

At first I thought the issue was with the network because the customers were VLAN'ing from one server room to another. Then I thought it was the Service Console specifically, because migrating VM's was taking hours and hours and with VEEAM FastSCP, I could actually see the transfer rate when copying files from /vmfs/volumes/storage. But when I copied to /root from one machine to another, it was blazing fast. And my VM's were very fast in their copy jobs of large files. I had 2 servers with P400i controllers that had no problems and 2 servers with P400 controllers that had the serious problem. There's got to be some issue with the P400 controllers and VMFS. Read performance was great, write performance was awful. Glad we had the P800 controllers on hand!

-Hans Doerr

0 Kudos
4 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the ESX Server 3.x Configuration forum.

Oliver

VMTN User Moderator

0 Kudos
Svedja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BBWC help in that sense that the server can do asynchronious block writes. That helps a lot in performances.

The change is even more evident if you have a machine as NFS server (due to NFS constrains regarding writes) and you can see how the blocks are written in sequential order!

I tried using RAID-6 on a G5 server with standard config (256MB cache) as NFS server and the write performance was just not usefull (read awfull).

I could almost follow the write light with my finger.

Adding BWCC increasd the write performance many times over, but I'm still not convinced that P400 is good enough for the task.

Sure it does work, but you can see that the writes seldomly are in parallel but mainly sequential (at least with RAID-6/ADG).

It doesn't even seem to use the fact that there are two scsi-busses that it can write to in parallel.

Message was edited by: Svedja

0 Kudos
HansDoerr
Contributor
Contributor

Oliver-

I put the post in the "known issues" forum because I thought people

might check there if they're have a P400 card and they're having an

issue. Thanks for filing it where it should be, though! I saw a lot of

posts about VMFS performance problems but none of them were exactly what

I was seeing with my RAID controllers. And none of them seemed

concretely resolved, so I wanted to share what I learned, because it

took me days to figure this out. That's a lot of wasted dollars &

time! Thanks-

Hans Doerr

Accelera Solutions

Cell: 703-217-2770

Office: 703-637-5048

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to share information create a document (in the appropriate community).

0 Kudos