VMware Cloud Community
gpeppa
Contributor
Contributor

VMTools 4.0 running on ESX 3.5 servers

Is there any problems if I install a vmtools version 4.0 (vsphere) on ESX 3.5 vmware servers? I make these questions because someone upgrade by mistake the vmtools of my VMs with vsphere version and all my vmware infraestructure is on ESX 3.5 U5 servers.

I think this installation it should not affect the performance of the virtual machine but I am not sure,

Can someone help me about this question..

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if  you create virtual machine in vSphere 4, will be created with Virtual  Hardware Version 7, and if you take this machine and try to run in  ESX3.5 not be allowed.
The opposite works with VM HW Virtual V4 runs normally in vSphere.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As long as the virtual hardware is version 4 you will have no problems with the VM running on either ESX 3.5 or ESX 4.0 - if the virtual hardware has been upgrade to version 7 then the VM will NOT run on a ESX 3.5 host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

You don;t need to stress, as stated before, Version 7 VMs won;t run on 3.5  . . .which means that you won;t be able to migrate them to 3.5 via vMotion etc (so as long as you are not building new VMs on the ESX 4.0 and you have enough capacity for your v7.0 VMs on your ESX4 hosts, you won't have any problems)

The drivers in the new tools that have been installed on your VM (if your VM is still version 4) will continue to work, even if you migrate  aVM back to a 3.5 host as the Virtual hardware remains identical.,

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos