VMware Cloud Community
kins
Contributor
Contributor

VRanger Not working

Hi,

I have VRanger configured to work with a single esx host and we are using Virtual centre.

When I start the backup of a live vm it sits on performing backup and nothing appears in thedestination folder

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
39 Replies
kins
Contributor
Contributor

I see a vranger snapshot in the snap manager for the particular server I am trying to backup. Could this be preventing me from connecting?

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

If there is already a snapshot of the VM, then YES, I believe it will cause problems if you attempt to take another snapshot via vRanger. This would also indicate that a previous attempt may have failed because one of your accounts did not have permissions to delete the snapshot.

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

Is it ok to remove these snapshots?

servername

servername

ranger_backup

.you are here

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Yes, remove the snapshot. Leaving it open for a long period of time can cause issues with the storage filling up or VMware not being able to commit the changes. If the snap is from vRanger then at one point vRanger connected. I think the issue you are having is past the connection phase and is more to where the destination is. I noticed you are not checking for free space. Where are you trying to backup to?

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

there are 2 snapshots will I remove both?

I have mapped a netowrk drive to a share and am pointing to the drive. The drive has enough space

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Yes, remove both snapshots.

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just out of curiosity, did you give your vranger account the role of "Vmware Consolidated Backup User"? That's what I gave to my vranger acct. As a troubleshooting step, you may want to make the vranger acct and admin on the ESX host too. Did you recheck your storage settings to verify that the vranger server has access to the vm luns?

adam

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

both removed and still the same issue...telling me it is performing the backup and nothing is showing up in the directory

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

the vranger user is an admin on the esx host.

I have added the vranger user under the permissions on the host

I cannot give the user the VCBUser role? What is the exact name of the role?

thanks

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I cannot give the user the VCBUser role? What is the exact name of the role?

Now that is interesting. First question - are you using VCB? If so, the role is "Vmware Consolidated Backup User". See the attached screenshot.

One thing I noticed in one of your earlier posts is that it does not look like you are specifying to use vcb. The vranger command line would have a "-vcb" parameter if you were using it.

The reason I was asking about the storage is the error msg: Unable to Find The VM: VMSANSTORE SOLSEARCH/SOLSEARCH.vmx. If you are using vcb with vranger, then the vcb/vranger server needs to have access the vm LUNs.

adam

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

not using VCB.

I have make a small bit of progress. The server has created an 8 k .info file in the directory and it didn't create anything before. It says performing backup

What other file types show up here as nothing else has appeared?

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Alright..so you are doing an "over-the-LAN" backup (aka. a traditional backup). At this point, I am just an observer of this thread since I have no experience with vRanger LAN-based backups. I used the VCB/vRanger combo for backups.

If it can create snapshots, it has access to VC. About the only other suggestion I can offer is to review the vRanger docs and see if there are any firewall ports you need to open on the console. It's going to have to access the service console to transfer the data.

adam

0 Kudos
JWilson08232
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I used to to use VRanger Pro. Gave up on it as there were to many requirments, WINDOW OS, .NET, Product Install , VCB and as a result FAILED BACKUPS!.

I swiched to esXpress.com to avoid all those firewall problems.

JohnW

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

does your account on the ESX host have "Grant shell access to this user" ?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

I used to to use VRanger Pro. Gave up on it as there were to many requirements, WINDOW OS, .NET, Product Install , VCB and as a result FAILED BACKUPS!.

You do not need VCB in order to use vRanger.

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
JWilson08232
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, VCB is not required, But then the backup will be done in the service cosole. just and idea.

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Depending on setup, neither VCB or backup via the service console is required. We backup to a NFS mount that has a dedicated NIC and vSwitch.

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
kins
Contributor
Contributor

yes it does

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

kins - did you find a resolution to your issue, or perhaps you have opened a ticket with Vizioncore? I would still try a fresh install on a different workstation (can be XP, I have an install on my workstation that I used for some testing). This would let you know if you have an issue with the current setup or not.

Regards...

Jamie

kins
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I removed it and put the latest version on - all sorted

thanks for the help

0 Kudos