VMware Cloud Community
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WWN (world wide node name) of ESX

Is there an easy way to find out what WWN(World Wide Node Name) of my ESX is? I am trying to set up zoning on my SAN Switch.

Thanks.

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Difference in the last two digits is probably because on ESX you're seeing the World Wide Port Name, while on the switch you're looking at the World Wide Node Name.

One is the ID for the adapter, the other one for the port.

If you expand the WWN entry on the switch, you'll probably see the WWPN as a subitem of the WWN (you can do zoning on either of them)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check your storage adapters under the configuration tab, there you will see the WWN numbers of the installed adapters.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Like Troy said they're under the storage adapters under the configuration tab. See attached screenshot

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you guys. However, I am scared because when I check the "storage adpater" configuration, I have something like this:

vmhba1: .... 50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:18

vmhba2: .... 50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:1a

Now, there weird thing is, when I check one of my SAN switchs, I have this:

50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:1b

and on another switch I have:

50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:19

see the difference on the last two digits? Why they don't exactly match?

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

two different HBA's, they should have unique WWN's or something is wrong.

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell

...I just noticed the difference in WWN number reporting to the SAN. I'm not a storage guy, but the WWN numbers from your HBA's should be the same on the SAN as the HBA.

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troy, as you see, they are UNIQUE by the last two digits. My quesiton is the last two digits don't match those on the switches.

My ESX connects to 2 switches (one HBA each switch so I have redandency here.) My ESX works just fine. Thanks for your quick reply.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just noticed the second part and updated my post. I'm not a SAN guy but when I give my SAN guy the WWN numbers of our HBA's they match on the SAN. I'm not 100% sure what's going on.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Difference in the last two digits is probably because on ESX you're seeing the World Wide Port Name, while on the switch you're looking at the World Wide Node Name.

If you expand the WWN entry on the switch, you'll probably see the WWPN as a subitem of the WWN (you can do zoning on either of them)

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thank you patrickds for coming to the rescue as I madly search the Forums for the correct answer

marvinms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It doesn't hurt to double check the switch port that that you know you are plugged into either.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thank you guys. However, I am scared because when I check the "storage adpater" configuration, I have something like this:

vmhba1: .... 50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:18

vmhba2: .... 50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:1a

Now, there weird thing is, when I check one of my SAN switchs, I have this:

50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:1b

and on another switch I have:

50:01:43:80:00:ac:d9:19

see the difference on the last two digits? Why they don't exactly match?

eagleh -

What you have is a dual port fibre channel adapter. The last octet is unique between each physical port with a last octet of 18 and 1a. The next two WWNs are node IDs and are incremented by one,, so you get 19 and 1b.

Dave Convery - VMware vExpert 2009

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Doug Larson

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

YOU GUYS ARE incrediable!!!! That is why this forum is like a treasure mine for me.

@ Troy, I am picturing how MAD you are in search of the right answer ! Smiley Happy Cheers!!! Smiley Wink

Again, thank you all !

0 Kudos