VMware Cloud Community
smsteam
Contributor
Contributor

host identification doesn't change even after a reboot

Hey guys, I'm trying to change my host identification on a ESX server of mine (version 3.5.0 64607). I've changed it via Virtual Infrastructure Client and the command line as prescribed in article 4309499, rebooted, but VIC stills says "Changes will not take effect until the system is restarted." I don't get it. /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network, the hostname field is the same as the "DNS and Routing Configuration" tab in VIC. I've rebooted several times with no luck. I'm not sure what else to do. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Forums - Are you connecting cirectly to the ESX host or using Virtual Center? If using Virtual Cenetr is the name correct in the Inventory? If not you might have to remove and readd the host to your VC inventory -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awaridng points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
smsteam
Contributor
Contributor

I am connecting through VC and changing the host identification, and I am connecting directly to the ESX command line console and changing the /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network files. I've tried removing and readding the host to VC, with no luck.

0 Kudos
hphuhtin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Double&Triple check that you have the exactly same string in hostname in the VI client and in the files. I've seen sometimes if you first edit via VI Client, then manually edit a little typo "oops", you might get a "restart required" sign there all the time, even though nothing changes when restarting.

0 Kudos