VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

multipath software

I have a dual port hba on esx server. Do i need any multipath software or driver for multipath failover to work?

If i intentionally or accidentally unplug one port, the storage should still be available

0 Kudos
8 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ESX will take care of the multipathing for you. When you scan for new storage on the host, you should see the LUN's. Once you format the with VMFS, you should be able to go into the properties of the datastore and change which path is being used. Be mindful of if your array is supposed to have LUN's configured as 'mru' vs. fixed... If mru, you should leave the path alone; the host will multipath on it's own. If fixed, you can choose, on a datstore by datastore basis, which path you want to use.

-Steve
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what is mru and fixed mean? I dont manage the san devices. what shoul i choose?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

MRU = Most Recently Used

Fixed = Fixed Path

What you choose depends on your storage - check the storage guidelines in the HCL for your SAN device - it will give a recommendation. Also, ask your SAN engineers.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

when do you use mru and when do you use fixed?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Depends on your storage and (usually) if it is ALUA or not. And before you ask - ask your SAN engineers what ALUA means.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ESX should automatically detect the correct multipath policy (MRU or fixed) for your array type. You usually don't need to worry about it. If you wish, you can read more about it in the SAN configuration guide (available on the VMware site in the documentation section.)

You can get a fairly detailed view of whether multipath is actually seeing all your paths by typing the following command on the console: esxcfg-mpath -l

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

What is path thrashing?

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Path thrashing is when the active path for a LUN switches rapidly from one storage controller to the next. It generally results in severely degraded performance and, in extreme cases, a number of instability issues. Path thrashing does not occur with only one ESX host or single-controller storage systems.

In ESX, path thrashing most frequently occurs if the ESX multipathing policy is set to "fixed", and the storage controllers are active/passive at the back-end ("esxcfg-mpath -l" lists half the paths as "on", and the other half as "standby".) The other case is when there is a configuration issue on the storage controller, specifically that the controllers are really active/passive, but report themselves as being active/active ("esxcfg-mpath -l" returns all paths' status as "on".)

In the first case, if ESX servers are set up to have different preferred paths (i.e. Server 1 prefers to use controller A, Server 2 prefers to use controller B), they may cause the active/passive controllers to switch a LUN from one controller to the next constantly. This is a configuration problem on the ESX server and can be corrected by setting the path policy back to the default of MRU. (LUNs on active/passive controllers should always use MRU; active/active LUNs can use either MRU or Fixed, but uses fixed by default.)

The second case is a configuration issue on the storage controller and needs to be corrected there. In this case, the ESX servers will have no way of determining which is the correct path and will try to communicate on the first available one. The storage controller will then fail the path over to the controller being target. The feature that needs to be disabled is sometimes called AVT (auto-volume transfer) and you'll see mention to it in /var/log/vmkwarning if the problem occurs. In most cases, setting the host type to "cluster" resolves this, but you need to check your SAN vendor's documentation for this one.

0 Kudos