VMware Cloud Community
obrienim
Contributor
Contributor

vmkping strange pause

I have 2 VI3 servers up and running, both servers are configured with 4 nic ports.

On both servers the netwrok is cconfigured the same. 2 nics assigned to vswitch0 for guest traffic, 1 nic assigned to the services console, and 1 nic assigned to vmotion. Vmotion is configured to reside in it's own vlan.

When I use vmkping from server 2 it responds almost imediately after I hit the enter button. On server 1 there is a long pause of 30 - 45 seconds before it responds. I am using vmkping to ping the vmotion ip address on the opposite server.

Any ideas? Should I be concerend about the ability move guest systems around (I have not tested that yet)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

did you check dns server entry?

Jon

0 Kudos
obrienim
Contributor
Contributor

The vlan for vmotion is self contained, no router interface for the traffic. So there are no entries in DNS. I entered the command as vmkping <ip address>, so I am not sure why it would use DNS resolution.

DNS is configured but the server entries point to the service console. I am also abl;e to resolve names for internal and Internet based hosts.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Any ideas? Should I be concerend about the ability move guest systems around (I have not tested that yet)

I wouldn't be concerned about testing vmotion. It does a validation and will not proceed if the validation fails. I notice a delay doing a vmkping as well but haven't had any issue with vmotion or drs.

0 Kudos