VMware Cloud Community
damccumb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX vs ESXi

What is the Difference? is ESXi just a new version of ESX. I have ESX 3.5 in my Vmware infrastructure. Should I "upgrade" to ESXi? Thanks

-David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi is a stripped down version of ESX. Stripped down in this case means it doesn't include a service console like ESX has. It has a really small footprint and can be considered more secure and reliable. There should also be less patches available for ESXi because most of the patches released for ESX are service console related patches.

If you don't need a service console ESXi might be useful. Just test it sometime,

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi is a stripped down version of ESX. Stripped down in this case means it doesn't include a service console like ESX has. It has a really small footprint and can be considered more secure and reliable. There should also be less patches available for ESXi because most of the patches released for ESX are service console related patches.

If you don't need a service console ESXi might be useful. Just test it sometime,

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, giving the fact that 3i is free now, I assume that 3i will quickly takeover the 3.5 hosts, don't you think?

0 Kudos
damccumb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. how does the lack of a service console limit ESXi? I thought the the service console was just the way that ESX communicated with VI center.

-David

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it is also where third party apps get installed - but with ESXi you can actually add the Remote CLI which will add a service console like funtionality -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
damccumb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is what I am wondering Vliegenmepper, we are going to buy more for our infrustruture and now that ESXi is free, i was wondering more about the limitations\differences[ |~135532]

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It doesn't really limit you (except for installation of 3th party software), you should use the Remote Cli appliance (of either the software) to fire scripts to the ESX3i hosts.

That's why, for example, the Storage Vmotion funtionallity only works when initiated from the Remote Cli. This feature works for ESX 3.5 and ESX3i hosts but since ESX 3.5 doesn't have a service console they had to create some "external" software that is capable of initiating this

BTW, there are versions of ESX3i in where for example HP embedded it's own management agents, so you will get some flavors matching the specific hardware eventually.

Signature:

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As in VMware functionality there are no limitations. Keep in mind, the hypervisor is free, but you will still need to buy VirtualCenter / HA / DRS etc.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well AFAIK there aren't any performance/functionality differences. With this said I'm fairly sure ESX3i will be much wildly used than 3.5.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As in VMware functionality there are no limitations. Keep in mind, the hypervisor is free, but you will still need to buy VirtualCenter / HA / DRS etc.

Yep and that's the VMware strategy, others are also coming with free hypervisors so this is a logical step. VMware is going to invest more on managing and automating the whole Virtual Infrastructure.

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> Well, giving the fact that 3i is free now, I assume that 3i will quickly takeover the 3.5 hosts, don't you think?

Well, not so sure... Considering the same comparision between Vmware Workstation and Vmware Server, Workstation was not replaced by VM Server. And as far as I'm concerned, I never replaced my workstation plateforms by server, because of lack of some feautres in Server ( snapshot mngr, etc )

0 Kudos
racerzer0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if this has already been posted.. but in the absense of SC of ESX3.5... how does one install agents in ESX3.5i? LIke Navisphere or Unicenter?

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not sure if this has already been posted.. but in the absense of SC of ESX3.5... how does one install agents in ESX3.5i? LIke Navisphere or Unicenter

You do not; I think that all those agents are going to be installed in either VC or within the RemoteCli somehow and keep track on the system from there. (But that's just a guess)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You won't be able to. For hardware, the vender would need to create a CIM provider or you would have to rely on out of band management.

0 Kudos