VMware Cloud Community
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXI VS ESX 3.x

Which should i deploy? I know esx 3.x and have messed with esxi. trying to compare to pros and cons of esxi vs esx 3.5. i know there is no service console on esxi.

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

well if you know there is no console, then do you need the service console? If you need to run agents like your hardware vendor, you need to keep the console. If not, install ESX 3i.

I know most of the experts on here prefer the console version, you can remote into it, and do things on the server remotely, that you can't ordinarily do otherwise, and it makes management easier.

Also remember that 3rd party vendors don't have products to support ESX 3i yet, no backup, no monitoring agents, nothing that requires SSH connections will work, so you can't use veeam fast SCP, or Win SCP to transfer files.. you give up quite a bit with that headless version.

0 Kudos
LoneStarVAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stick with what you know, plus it's nice to have the ability to console into the box. The only benefit I see to ESXi is the smaller footprint and the argument that it's more secure b/c there is no console. We're replacing 7 hosts next month and are staying with ESX 3.5.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey

This may help your decision making

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100654...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is anyone making the switch from esx 3.5 to esxi?

if so why?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

We are also sticking with the non-i version for many of the reasons above.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Show me a solution to connect a APC USV and i'll switch to ESXi.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos