VMware Cloud Community
maxi-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help!!! Trying to restore VM Converter images - fails with missing catalog file error

I used VM converter to make BU images - VM Infrastructure to VMserver 1x - I did this so that I would be able to restore the images if I had issues removing snapshots. I deleted the snapshots and of course the servers won't start now. So I thought I could restore the server from the converter image and I get this error.

Any help will be appreciated,

Maxi...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have the vm files, then you should be able to use those files as a source, and select ESXi as a target. Is that what you are attempting?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

DId you need the data that was in the snapshot? -if not... then

If you edit the VMX file to point to the vmdk you should be fine... post your VMX contents and we should be able to help you out.

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
maxi-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RC,

Thanks for the response. When I ran the converter I selected to remove the restore points and not to modify settings - since the system converted from VM Infrastructure to VM Server 1x it had to reduce the memory settings - but that seemed to go OK - I've attached the converter log. I don't see any path to in the VMX to modify or point to. I did move the file from the original converter location but I moved it complete with the sub-directory would that cause issues?

Question: I was thinking that this would consolidate the snapshots into the current version - Am I off base on this? I guess I'm still a little in the dark on managing snapshots. I'll understand if I have to rebuild this server - but I want to have a better understanding going forward. It appears deleting snapshots simply removes them - how do I consolidate the snapshots into a single version (image) to backup.

Going forward: I was doing this as a test - I have a VMWare server 2.x system hosted on WIN2K3 and want to convert the server to ESXi - I have 6 VM's that would like to backup (export) using the Standalone converter so that I can restore them to the new ESXi system - will this work.

I really appreciate the assistance,

Maxi

++++++++++++ VMX File ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

memsize = "1392"

MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"

displayName = "vm-SERVERNAME.domain.com"

guestOS = "winNetStandard"

floppy0.present = "TRUE"

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.filename = "auto detect"

parallel0.present = "TRUE"

parallel0.fileType = "device"

parallel0.fileName = "auto-detect"

parallel0.autodetect = "TRUE"

serial0.present = "TRUE"

serial0.fileType = "device"

serial0.fileName = "auto-detect"

serial0.autodetect = "TRUE"

serial1.present = "TRUE"

serial1.fileType = "device"

serial1.fileName = "auto-detect"

serial1.autodetect = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide0:0.filename = "auto detect"

ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "vm-SERVERNAME.vmdk"

lsilogic.noDriver = "FALSE"

annotation = ""

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if the vm had a snapshot, this would be pointed to something named "_delta.vmdk" ....

{from your vmx file}

scsi0:0.fileName = "vm-SERVERNAME.vmdk"

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
maxi-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I converted the live servers - I selected remove "restore points" does the Converter consolidate the versions (deltas)? Or does it return to the first saved version?

Maxi

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you convert a vm with snapshots, the new vm will not have snapshots. Are you trying to restore an esxi image to vmware server or to ESXi?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
maxi-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At the moment I would be happy to be able to restore the VM to either platform - the Converter generates the error before I can select a target system to restore to. I would guess that since I converted the ESXi infrastructure VM to VMserver 1x I would have to restore on the VMware server platform - correct?

MB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have the vm files, then you should be able to use those files as a source, and select ESXi as a target. Is that what you are attempting?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
maxi-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm trying that now - I renamed the original source machine on the ESXi platform and and using the converter to create the machine again from the converter files.

Hope that this works...

Maxi

SUCCESS!

I guess that I was making it more complicated than necessary - thanks

Maxi

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Excellent. Glad it worked out well.

-KjB