VMware Cloud Community
adave007
Contributor
Contributor

Mount an eSata hard drive enclosure in ESX or ESXi

Please see the attached picture and you should see what I'm trying to do. So pretty much what I do is copy my VM's from my SAN to another ESXi box that has a large 1.5TB hard drive. However I'm having issues with the eSata portion. I'm not understanding the mount command perhaps someone can help me with this.

What I want to do is mount the eSata hard drive then copy the files from datastore to the other durring the day and then unmount the drive when it's finished this way I can take the hard drive off site and not worried about backup.

If you can help me with the mount -t fs:type command and unmount commands and perhaps the ability to rescan the storage later.

Thanks,

Amit

0 Kudos
23 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Once a disk is seen by ESX that has a datastore on it, it gets added automatically, via the rescan. Worst case scenario is that a reboot will be required. The thing I'm worried about is the drive freezing your system.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
adave007
Contributor
Contributor

thanks buddy this works great. I'm not sure how vmware does it but it seems to see the storage no problem since it's a non production esxi server i'm don't mind shutting it down changing hard drive enclosures and booting backup.

cheers guys.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

No problem.

-KjB

Don't forget to leave points and mark posts as helpful/correct.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
adave007
Contributor
Contributor

You rock buddy have a great day.

0 Kudos