How can i install rpm file on esxi?

How can i use linux command on esxi?

Thank You

0 Kudos
13 Replies
torra
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are definitly on the wrong way if you want to do this on ESXi. The goal of ESXi is to have the most simple and smallest virtualization base. You can enable ssh on it and do these things but everything is dangerous and unsupported.

So you should use ESX or Server to do what you want or extract the files before you copy them onto ESXi's datastore.

What do you want to do? Maybe the Remote Client is a solution. In this comunityyou can find ready solutions for making backups or kind of monitoring.

Marjan

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Just to add to Marjan's post, ESXi does not have the Linux service console VM that regular ESX has, so you will not be able to install any Linux based agents into the console of ESXi. What sort of software are you trying to install?

0 Kudos
younesk
Contributor
Contributor

I have a tar file with *.dsk and *.vmx file that i went to move to esxi. scp work because i enable ssh but i need to untar the .tar file.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

try tar -xvf

0 Kudos
torra
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot see a tar on my ESXi so you probably easier untar in on your machine and then copy the files to the ESXi machine.

Marjan

0 Kudos
younesk
Contributor
Contributor

this is the solution that i am using now. Because i could not find the tar in esxi.

Thank You

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just untar it on your windows box with 7-zip and winscp it to your esxi box.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

tar is is part of the busybox ash executable so you won't find a tar executable on the system, but if you run the command it is there.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

at least you will find a symlink named tar, linking to busybox

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running Esxi 3, update 3.5, trying to install legato backup on it.

I am able to login from console, and tar -xzvf pkg.tgz. But I could not find how to run rpm -ivh to install.

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. ESXi does not include rpm as does ESX. What sort of app are you trying to install?

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

backup app (legato networker) which we are using.

Thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you stick with ESXi you would need to use an agent within the VMs or look at an alternative like VCB.

0 Kudos