VMware Cloud Community
FrankkVM
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install ESXi on HP Proliant ML110

Hi all, I received the messagge "Unable to find a supported device to write the VMWare ESx Server 3i 3.5.0 image to" when try installed ESXi on a HP Proliant ML100 (not G4 or G5). I try with HD PATA and SATA, the result is idem.

Is my server icompatble with ESXi?

Surfing on Internet I found this article, but is not applicable to my case ()

Best regards,

Frank

0 Kudos
4 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We had the exact same issue on some ML110s we bought and worked around it by using ESXi on bootable USB sticks which can then use the local disks for VMFS storage even though the installer was unhappy with them. As your link covers, they have a USB port on the motherboard so you can easily leave it permanently in place without the fear of it "accidentally" going missing.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
KiwiSi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Frank,

There appears to be an issue when installing ESXi onto an ML110 G5 with 1GB or less of memory. I've never tried installing it on a model earlier than a G4 or G5 though the same gotcha may still apply. Maybe worth a try if you haven't already gone down the path of booting from a USB stick.

Kind Regards,

Simon

www.techhead.co.uk

Simon Seagrave TechHead VMware vExpert 2009,2010,2011,2012 http://techhead.co http://twitter.com/kiwi_si
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to install ESXi onto an IDE drive, see the article here - www.vm-help.com. On the site is also an article about hardware that ESXi will recognize. See if the SATA controller is on that list - you'll have to figure out the PCI id for the controller.

0 Kudos
FrankkVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I trying aplicated the path of booting from a usb stick but in the model ML110 earlier than G4 or G5 appears not work. The computer not started from the usb stick.

I still have tu use VMWare Server, I have not choice.

Thank you very much to all.

0 Kudos