VMware Cloud Community
Cr0n_J0b
Contributor
Contributor

booting from USB Stick (lexar Firefly)

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to boot a server using a USB stick. I've read some threads on how to prepare the stick and it seems to work ok, but when it boots up I get the following error:

Cannot get bank 1 paramaters.

Warning: Bank 1 partition type invalid. Ignoring.

Cannot get bank 2 paramaters.

Warning: Bank 2 partition type invalid. Ignoring.

Panic: No useable banks found.

I'm not sure what this error refers to or how I might get around it.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
vmako
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cr0n_J0b,

I had this problem on my HP ML115, I fixed it by changing the BIOS setting for USB boot device from "auto detect" to emulate hard disk (HDD).

This option needs to be set each time the USB key is removed from the server.

HTH.

Dan.

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

how will the vendor know or VMware know?? (unless they come to site and open the server, and then the dim engineer, has probably never seen ESXi.

HP in the UK sell ESXi on a 2GB "green" flash drive for £25!

Also HP have suppied their USB Recovery cdrom iso, which copies the image to "ANY" GB flash drive!

0 Kudos
jgb74
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem with a few motherboards as well. It's not the installation on the USB stick, I have proven this, It is the motherboard BIOS/Manufacturer not fully supporting USB boot. I see it loads of times in Gigabytes intel based mainboards. Never seen it with one of their AMD/VIA based mobos.

0 Kudos
davedude
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a step by step process to get the hypervisor on the USB key? and if so where is it. I am really looking for the correct image files and command lines...

0 Kudos
jgb74
Contributor
Contributor

I use the method described here, no problem thus far except mentioned in my above post.

I have used this to install 3i on quite a few machines now.

0 Kudos
davedude
Contributor
Contributor

Trying it right now... Thank you....

0 Kudos
davedude
Contributor
Contributor

Worked like a charm - - - Thank You!!!

0 Kudos
nigelp
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having problems, having been unable to load via the regular CD image. I have tried the USB option as decribed in the link, but am getting the same "

Cannot get bank 1 parameters." problem.

Inspection of the USB contents shows all the right partitions as described.

Unfortunately my shiny new motherboard, purchased specifically for this exercise is a Gigabyte G31M - 2SL2.

Should I give up now?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might try this as an alternative - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_USB_install.php. What sort of problem do you have with the CD install?

0 Kudos
nigelp
Contributor
Contributor

The standard CD installation came up with the warning;

"Unable to find a supported device to write the VMWare ESX Server 2i 3.5.0 to"

The referral information said;

Gigabyte

G31M - 2SL2

Sourced tag: Aborted

Bios Rev F6

I then tried the USB route following the guidance on http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Boot%203i%20from%20USB%20flash%20drive.html but that resulted in the warning;

"Cannot get bank 1 parameters.

Cannot get bank 2 parameters.

Panic: No usable banks found."

Should I give the alternative USB install a whiz, or do you think it is the motherboard that is the culprit? BTW Many thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What model of storage controller do you have and what's the PCI id? http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/find_PCI_ID.php

0 Kudos
nigelp
Contributor
Contributor

The only entry was;

PCI \VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_01 \3&13C0B0C5&0&FA

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like you have an ICH7 controller. With ESXi 3.5 Update 2, the ata_piix driver would be used and ESXi would generally install fine to it from CD. They changed that with update 3 and you have to use an IDE install method as the IDE driver is loaded for ICH7 controllers - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_install_to_IDE_drive/ESXi_install_to_IDE_drive.php.

8086 27c0 0000 0000 storage ata_piix 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE

0 Kudos
nigelp
Contributor
Contributor

Good grief! What a speedy response!

I shall give that a go straight away.

Many thanks, Dave.

0 Kudos
nigelp
Contributor
Contributor

Bingo!

I eventually managed to install both an IDE drive and managed to get the system installed having followed the excellent guidance given.

I did notice a warning at bootup that 'lvldriver failed to load'.

I also now find that when attempting to use 'Configure Management Network' that the network details default to 0.0.0.0 and it will not permit me to make any changesalthough I do have DCHP active.

The first suspicion was NIC compatability, and wandering around the forum I notice you have answered this before - it is a Realtek NIC problem that needs resolving. Unfortunately all other card available here at present are Realtek in various disguises!

Nearly there....... but it is looking good.

0 Kudos
Gollie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I've read through all the responses and want to but in on this one:

I need to get the ESXi server to boot from a USB.

This usb does work on on my laptop, and some older PC but not on a newer one( Epox mother board AMD 64 proc. 2 gb ram

I also get this

Cannot get bank 1 parameters.

Cannot get bank 2 parameters.

Panic: No usable banks found."

What is the solution?

I do not want to install ESXi onto the Hard drive in this PC, Although I did used ths same Harware to installESXi 3.5 upgarde 2 and 3

Did it , and it worked, when using these same hardware, but I need ESXi to boot from the USB.

I was on this VMWare conferense, where they talked about it, and I need to be able to plug out my USB Drive, plug it into some other PC and get ot to work.

Maybe VMWare Techies can answer it as a lot of questions through the blogs was asked about this and the work around by installing onto a Harddrive does not go down. It will defy the whole mobility, high upime, low cost etc.

Regards

0 Kudos