VMware Cloud Community
eravn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try to install ESXi 3.5 om ML350G5

I cannot install ESXi 3.5 on the server. i use daemontools to open ISO image, and then burn it on my CD.

Boot server an get started with boot PC dos and the show one DVD drive - there hangs the installation and after some time

error bad or missing command interpreter

The server disk system is not formated

Please help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Have you confirmed that the ML350 is on the supported list of servers? You can check the HCL -

If you find this or any other answer useful please ocnsider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of storage controller do you have in the host? During the install you can press ALT-F1 and ALT-12 to see detailed error messages. Those screens might give you an indication of the error. Also by "server disk system is not formated" do you mean you have a RAID array created just not formatted? If so that's not a problem.

0 Kudos
eravn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The server is in the HCL list.

I have found some usefull about MSP Table that should bee configuret correct

0 Kudos
eravn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I forgot - It is a new server, and I have configure the raid but not format the disk system - shut I do that and it yes - FAT, FAT32 or what ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of storage controller does the server have? There's no need to format the array first. How large is the array?

0 Kudos
eravn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disk controler is Smart Array E200i med 128MB BBWC . to raid 0+1 one = 146GB and one = 72GB.

OK - not need to format drive first - got it.

0 Kudos
eravn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I need help - cannot get it up and running - cannot boot fra CD - the cd. The CD loading PC DOS and detect the CD-ROM and then nothing happings ?

0 Kudos
eravn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have found out what the issue is. The boot image was marked as PC dos boot not linux.

0 Kudos
Deems
Contributor
Contributor

I installed on ESXi 3.5 on my ML350 G5 without a hitch. It's in the HCL for ESX 3.5 but not ESXi.

0 Kudos
GregBradley
Contributor
Contributor

It is now on the supported list but only for ESXiU2. Almost tried it for my current customer but the price on the ML370G5 470064-774 was literally the same as a ML350G5 with extra RAM and second Power Supply.

0 Kudos
Deems
Contributor
Contributor

Great news. Thanks.

0 Kudos