VMware {code} Community
accessory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two ways to compile VXI API with VS 8. Which is better?

Hi:

I found two ways to compile VIX API programs in VS 8 (VS 2005). Just wondering which way is better.

1) First method:

Follow the instructions here: http://pubs.vmware.com/vix-api/ReferenceGuide/

Use VixAllProducts.lib.

Do not use /MT or /MTd switch, use /MD /MDd switch (which is by default)

This is what I used previously. The only problem is when you debug the program, you need to download MSVCR71D.dll from somewhere.

2) Second method:

Follow the instructions here: http://pubs.vmware.com/vix-api/ReferenceGuide/

Use VixAllProducts.lib.

Use /MT or /MTd switch in Properties->C/C++ ->Code generation

Ignore LibCmtD.lib (or libCmt.lib) in Properties->linker->input-> Ignore specific library

Both of them work well for a small test program. But I am not sure which one is better. Any suggestions?

Also, I think it is better to change the instruction somehow to make it more clear that the user needs to download a dll file or ignore some libs to compile and debug the VXI API under VS 2005.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JPatten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which version of VIX are you running? I would guess the 1.2 beta since it is asking for MSVCR71D.dll and that is a debug DLL. In the non-beta version of the VIX, it should not require the Debug DLL, but just the regular c# runtime. I would build it using the first method.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JPatten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which version of VIX are you running? I would guess the 1.2 beta since it is asking for MSVCR71D.dll and that is a debug DLL. In the non-beta version of the VIX, it should not require the Debug DLL, but just the regular c# runtime. I would build it using the first method.

0 Kudos
accessory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi:

I am not sure which version of VIX API I am using. I installed VM WS 6.0.2 build 59824 and use the VIX API coming with it. I guess it is the 1.2 beta.

Thanks for your reply. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos