VMware {code} Community
Nasu
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to RunProgramInGuest with Vista

I have a problem with RunProgramInGuest and a Vista guest. I cannot run any programs or scripts with it. I have tried RunScriptInGuest too with the same result. I am reusing the routines I used when I did this with XP and there are no errors reported.I have tried disabling UAC as a start but that makes no difference. Any ideas are much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which VMware program are you using to run this virtual machine? Which version of the VIX API?

If you are not using the VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT option with VixVM_LoginInGuest() then the programs you are running may be executing in a invisible desktop.

When you call RunProgramInGuest(), does the program show up in TaskManager? Also, if you run a simple command with RunProgramInGuest(), like "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" "/c md c:\Users\MyUser\MyTestDirectory", does the directory get created?

0 Kudos
Nasu
Contributor
Contributor

I am using WorkStation 6.5.3 and the version of the VIX API that comes with that product.

It seems I had a problem with user accounts after installing Vista and renaming an account. I now created a new account to use with VIX API and it works. I am now using VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT but I am not sure if I really need it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should only need to use VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT if one or more of the following is true:

1) You need to interact with the applications you are running

2) The application needs to be visible (this is basically the same as (1), but I want to make it clear that without VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT on Vista or later, the program will not appear anywhere on the desktop when it is running).

3) Your application needs access to named mapped network drives (as in, you mapped
server\fileshare to V: and you program tries to access a file under V:)

4) If you using Linux and you want access to user environment variables from you shell log-in scripts.

0 Kudos
Nasu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos