VMware Cloud Community
atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Deprovisioning VM's using the ExternalWFStubs.MachineDisposing

Using the ExternalWFStubs.MachineDisposing workflow I am seeing sporadic failures when disposing the VM thinking that the VM is unavailable to collect properties from it during the de-provisioning phase.   I grab custom properties to figure out what the VCO workflow will remove etc.  Any ideas on this one?  The machine disposes, but the VCO workflow does not have what it needs to be successful.  Either the VCAC get props fails with null or the Vcenter workflow that gets the VM's IP address fails.  Still investigating this one.  1/2 of the decommissioned VM's are successful.

Thank you

-Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am attempting to use the WFStubUnprovisionMachine stub and see how that goes.  Thank you for the great info.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We experience this as well in our environment.  The problem as I understand it is we really need a stub for the "Decommission" state of the lifecycle.  In the realm of 5.x and lower I believe if you had the sdk you could pretty easily set this up.  Unfortunately the way it stands today we have a limited set of those lifecycle callouts we can use.  I think that you can in fact change the state at which the workflow stub gets called by modifying a file on the IaaS server (c:\Program files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Server\ExternalWorkflows\xmldb\ExternalWFStubs.xml) .  I'd imagine this is likely unsupported so if you try it be careful.  I have not attempted this myself so again proceed with caution!  You will need to modify the stub mapping for MachineDisposing to actually trigger at a the desired state.

I have asked about a million times now for all the states and sub-states to be made available as I can imagine making use of just about all of them for something.  I have been told enhancements are coming.  Doubtful we will see all of the available status types surface but surely a "pre-disposing" stub has got to be high on everyones list.

Here is a good article on the states. http://dailyhypervisor.com/vcloud-automation-center-vcac-5-2-virtual-machine-lifecycle-demystified/#... . It is written about 5.2 but as far as I can tell its all relevant to 6.x as well.

Paul

atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am attempting to use the WFStubUnprovisionMachine stub and see how that goes.  Thank you for the great info.

0 Kudos
atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That did not work.  Hopefully someone has a solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That doesn't sound normal. I don't see that sort of behavior at all. You may want to open an SR.

-Steve
0 Kudos
atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I misspelled the property ;).  I am testing it now.   Sorry for the false alarm.

0 Kudos