VMware Communities
deniseh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accessing host files

I'm sure this has been addressed many times but I find it impossible to search the archives.

In my XP virtual machine, I can access the shared files on the host machine but it takes FOREVER. I open the folder and it hangs up for about 5 minutes. It usually shows a window that says "APF connection Status, looking up (my name)'s computer."

Is there some setting I need to change or has this issue been address in the update?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First, by clicking cancel on the dialog that appears every time you try to access the Shared folders you are not really solving the problem, so no wonder that it does not work even when hitting cancel (which means basically "give up"), supposing the AFP dialog is the problem.

Did you by any chance try the info suggested in the following link I found on Google when searching for the message with AFP?

Also, you might want to try mapping the shared folders as a drive and see if things work if you access the shared folders then in My computer > Z:. The instructions on how to do the mapping are in Fusion documentation: Fusion menubar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Moving and Sharing Files with Your Mac > Sharing Files Between Virtual Machines and Your Mac > To view shared folders in a Windows guest by mapping them as a drive. Accessing using the mapped drive did remove freezes for me (although they were in terms of seconds, not minutes as you describe).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm sure this has been addressed many times but I find it impossible to search the archives.

What do you mean "but I find it impossible to search the archives" as I have no problem using the Community Search function in the top right corner of the web page?

In my XP virtual machine, I can access the shared files on the host machine but it takes FOREVER. I open the folder and it hangs up for about 5 minutes. It usually shows a window that says "APF connection Status, looking up (my name)'s computer."

What type of Sharing are you using? VMware Shared Folders feature or a OS X Samba Share, etc?

The VMware Shared Folders Feature is know to be a bit buggy and problematic from time to time so I'd suggest using Samba on OS X and then Map the Share in Windows to a Drive Letter.

0 Kudos
deniseh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh look! A search box. (thanx)

I am using VMware Shared Folders.

I don't know what Samba is. Could you elaborate?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am using VMware Shared Folders.

Are you sure? AFP (I assume you made a type) is probably Apple Filing Protocol, or in other words OS X network sharing. Fusion Shared Folder do not use this protocol, nor would the guest be looking for the host computer.

I don't know what Samba is. Could you elaborate?

It's another name for Windows network sharing.

0 Kudos
deniseh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The AFP seems irrelevant since I cancel it and it has no effect on accessing the folder.

The folder on the desktop in XP says "VMware Shared Folders". I don't remember how I set it up.

By elaborate, I mean, i need step-by-step instructions on how to set up Samba. Or someplace to look it up.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The folder on the desktop in XP says "VMware Shared Folders". I don't remember how I set it up.

If you did Windows Easy Install it was setup for you during the install.

By elaborate, I mean, i need step-by-step instructions on how to set up Samba. Or someplace to look it up.

Both the Mac OS X Help and Windows Help have information on how to share files between system.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First, by clicking cancel on the dialog that appears every time you try to access the Shared folders you are not really solving the problem, so no wonder that it does not work even when hitting cancel (which means basically "give up"), supposing the AFP dialog is the problem.

Did you by any chance try the info suggested in the following link I found on Google when searching for the message with AFP?

Also, you might want to try mapping the shared folders as a drive and see if things work if you access the shared folders then in My computer > Z:. The instructions on how to do the mapping are in Fusion documentation: Fusion menubar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Moving and Sharing Files with Your Mac > Sharing Files Between Virtual Machines and Your Mac > To view shared folders in a Windows guest by mapping them as a drive. Accessing using the mapped drive did remove freezes for me (although they were in terms of seconds, not minutes as you describe).

0 Kudos
deniseh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

answered

0 Kudos
deniseh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much. That did the trick!

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am glad your problem is solved. For the others who might search the forum with similar problem in future, could you please note in a response what of the 2 things did the trick, so that they find the answer here? Was it the Google link, or was it mapping shared folders as a drive?

0 Kudos
deniseh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mapping the network drive did the trick. It opens instantly. No more waiting.

I didn't get around to looking at the link.

Thanks

0 Kudos